S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing chain tensioners and you.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:28 AM

Received 1,230 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I'd love to see the publication listing olive oil in consumer quantities as Dangerous Goods. Or the shiny film residue of motor oil in a TCT. Or an oil sample being sent to the labs. None of these are dangerous and prohibited in domestic or international air mail without declartion.

I'm well aware of the air shipping prohibition of bulk dangerous goods like ammunition, propane, and other items which can actually explode. I can't air ship a crate of ammo but can carry boxed ammo in my carry-on luggage without any declaration. I can't air mail the lithium battery for my laptop but can carry the laptop with me on the aircraft. Even on the ground there are limitations. I can't tow 11,000 pounds of liquid petroleum/propane in a tanker trailer thru any of the tunnels on the PA turnpike (probably everywhere) but my camper with 2 20 pound cylinders on the tongue is fine. Same with the Chesapeake Bay area tunnels but I gotta turn the tanks Off first.

Lots of rules and exceptions to rules but here we're talking about the S2000 TCT magically becoming Dangerous Goods because it might have a film of motor oil on it.

-- Chuck
Old 01-05-2021, 11:19 AM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Have to say I am also very skeptical about used TCT's being classified as dangerous goods and therefore not shippable by air mail.
Simply speaking from what I experienced myself. I have ordered countless used parts from the US, UK, and Japan. Many of them engine parts, and they all ship by air mail. Even complete engines.
Go look on eBay and there's tons of engine parts with oil residue that can be shipped internationally.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys - If Billman doesn't want to ship to Canada, or anyplace else, that's (literally) his business. I would love to get a TCT from him - asked him over a year ago - and the same answer, which we can respect. Explaining that he's wrong, or explaining that others speaking about (but not for him) are wrong, is pointless and a bit hostile.
The following 2 users liked this post by slowcarfast:
Bullwings (01-05-2021), Monopoly (01-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 02:16 PM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Unit is not oily, it is new/clean no residue.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the quickest way to get in contact with you?
Old 01-06-2021, 05:32 AM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by slowcarfast
Guys - If Billman doesn't want to ship to Canada, or anyplace else, that's (literally) his business. I would love to get a TCT from him - asked him over a year ago - and the same answer, which we can respect. Explaining that he's wrong, or explaining that others speaking about (but not for him) are wrong, is pointless and a bit hostile.
This. Let the man do his thing.

Originally Posted by Edson_R
What's the quickest way to get in contact with you?
PM him.
The following 2 users liked this post by fernando.:
Monopoly (01-06-2021), Zer0ne (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 08:49 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Plus he was smart enough to use a hardened pin, where other groups failed to realize the need for that, and we all know how that ended for purchasers of those tct's.
What exactly happened here joey? I haven't followed the forums in a long time and still have my......ballade on. Not that I drive the car anways but I keep planning to buy Billmans
Old 01-06-2021, 08:54 AM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
What exactly happened here joey? I haven't followed the forums in a long time and still have my......ballade on. Not that I drive the car anways but I keep planning to buy Billmans
There were some TCT manufacturers that allegedly used non-hardened pins, and that basically introduces metal shavings into the engine as the pins wear more easily. It may not have caused engine damage, but who wants that for their engine. Billman used a hardened pin from day one and others made adjustments along the way as I see it.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:57 AM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

The option of using a new Honda TCT is a short term investment, some start exhibiting problems shortly after replacement and some get a bit longer life, but a new Honda TCT isn't the solution to the issue. Being in Canada I got mine at a Dragon event, reduced pricing and free install for those who took advantage of the opportunity.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:11 PM

Received 818 Likes on 423 Posts

For those of us living in Everywhere-else-in-the-world-land, is there a "next best" option? I think Toda was suggested somewhere but a few searches suggest they've had issues too. I haven't had any issues (yet) but forewarned is forearmed.

Last edited by Hertz Donut; 01-06-2021 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Timing chain tensioners and you.