S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing chain tensioners and you.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:37 AM

Received 1,230 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Motor oil in less than 1 liter volume (like a Blackstone oil sample) is not hazardous according to USPS, Canada Post, and Royal Mail (UK) so I'm curious how a film of oil on a TCT would magically make it dangerous.

What class and label are required for "dangerous" good like this. I note that my favorite ORM-D (consumer goods like hair spray and small arms ammunition), which can't go by air, became obsolete last Friday.

Not speaking for Bill but he has indicated many times that the failure of a significant percentage of non-US customers to return the Honda OE TCT (that he modifies for his model) is the reason. He's probably just tired of fooling with the non-cooperation.

-- Chuck
Old 01-04-2021, 01:29 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Technically the TCT is considered a “Dangerous Good” To ship it, a “trusted shipper” needs to perform the packing. The only way it can NOT be considered a dangerous good is if it is brand new and never used or exposed to fuel/oil. I know you many think it is not a dangerous product and you would be correct in most ground transport situations. If it goes by air there is another school of thought that has hard and deadly experience with dangerous goods. I know, I spent 34 years in the business.

Internationally you must, by law, declare what the item(s) is/are. If you truthfully list auto parts that is going to be a flag for the shipper whether it is USPS or FedEx. They are going to want to know what kind of a part it is.
What he said. I order AMsoil from US to Canada cause people charge arms and legs for car stuff here. Everything car related I have to order from the States. Shipping is normally expensive.
I'll be ordering my OEM TCT from Rock Auto before the spring.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:36 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Monopoly
What he said. I order AMsoil from US to Canada cause people charge arms and legs for car stuff here. Everything car related I have to order from the States. Shipping is normally expensive.
I'll be ordering my OEM TCT from Rock Auto before the spring.
Best idea for us Canadian folk.
The following users liked this post:
SkidPad (01-05-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 01:44 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fernando.
Best idea for us Canadian folk.
Figured it could use new TCT, plugs, re-grease shifter, and a new serpentine belt being 21 years old.

My guess is you were probably the only one who removed the valve cover since it was built. If I should add anything else to the list let me know
Old 01-04-2021, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Technically the TCT is considered a “Dangerous Good” To ship it, a “trusted shipper” needs to perform the packing. The only way it can NOT be considered a dangerous good is if it is brand new and never used or exposed to fuel/oil. I know you many think it is not a dangerous product and you would be correct in most ground transport situations. If it goes by air there is another school of thought that has hard and deadly experience with dangerous goods. I know, I spent 34 years in the business.

Internationally you must, by law, declare what the item(s) is/are. If you truthfully list auto parts that is going to be a flag for the shipper whether it is USPS or FedEx. They are going to want to know what kind of a part it is.
how do I get a hold of billman need him in my life.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:07 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Monopoly
Figured it could use new TCT, plugs, re-grease shifter, and a new serpentine belt being 21 years old.

My guess is you were probably the only one who removed the valve cover since it was built. If I should add anything else to the list let me know
I definitely was the first one in there.

PM'd.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:00 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm real happy with my Billman TCT. Highly recommended. My car is very quiet and I expect it will stay that way for the duration.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:36 AM

Received 316 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Not speaking for Bill but he has indicated many times that the failure of a significant percentage of non-US customers to return the Honda OE TCT (that he modifies for his model) is the reason. He's probably just tired of fooling with the non-cooperation.

-- Chuck
Thats understandable. I would have no Problem to send him my TCT and pay him full in advance. I think i will send him a PM.
There are a lot of S2000 Owners in germany that like to have a Billmann TCT but they can not get one.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:27 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Maybe the shipping hassle would be worth it for a bulk order. One package with multiple orders out, then shipped to individuals domestically. Do the same to ship cores to Billman.

This would require one person in each country to act as the shipper/receiver. Perhaps use your local forum to try and generate a list of people interested, and elect one of these to act as local shipper/receiver.

Of course, you can only order as many items in one shipment as Billman has in inventory. Since these are rebuilt, there are limits to how many cores he has at any given time. So if it were possible to ship the cores to him first, like maybe at beginning of your winter season when cars come off the road, that might work.

Another thing thst might work, pay Billman up front to buy new tct's from Honda, and modify those. This eliminates scarcity of cores, and potentially also makes shipping easier since now these are new, not used auto parts.

Obviously the cost is much higher this way.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:59 AM

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Motor oil in less than 1 liter volume (like a Blackstone oil sample) is not hazardous according to USPS, Canada Post, and Royal Mail (UK) so I'm curious how a film of oil on a TCT would magically make it dangerous.
Chuck
There is no magic involved. It has to do with science, aviation, and hard experience. You may think that an auto part that has been exposed to fuel or oil is no big deal but is that part going to interact with other dangerous goods? DGs are all listed, quantified, and sorted. Many DGs cannot be shipped together or limited in size. Some items are completely prohibited, some can only be carried in the cabin. (Military charters) For example you cannot ship infectious substances in the same compartment as a live animal. The issues with DGs May occur during an accident or damage to the packing. Even olive oil in a care package is a DG.
I cannot speak for the USPS or Royal Mail because I don’t know how the stuff is to be shipped, ground or air, passenger plane or cargo. I used to deal only with Cargo and or passenger aircraft. Everything is tightly monitored and procedures are strictly followed or the pilot in command will/must refuse to carry it.
I have seen on more than one occasion a well meaning but ill informed soul attempt to take onboard in their carry on bags a camping stove that has been used with white gas or butane. Sometimes even an empty fuel bottle or butane container. They have no idea of the extreme explosive nature of those items are in an aluminum tube at 40K feet. They don’t understand when those items are confiscated and think we are being unreasonable jerks. They may think I am a jerk but I am an alive jerk and so are my crew and passengers.

Quick Reply: Timing chain tensioners and you.