S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing Chain Tensioner Noise

Old 05-20-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the car is my weekend car, so it can sit there and not be driven, thats why I asked.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:22 PM

I have this noise only on some startups, It's never making the noise when the car is being driven. Do you think its wise to replace the timing chain tensioner when the noise is only at the start up for 1-2 seconds?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by duff0000,Aug 10 2006, 03:22 PM
I have this noise only on some startups, It's never making the noise when the car is being driven. Do you think its wise to replace the timing chain tensioner when the noise is only at the start up for 1-2 seconds?
Thats when I replaced mine.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:45 PM

I just did this a few hours ago and it wasn't too bad. It's a little more awkward than changing spark plugs just because of where it's located. Definitely pull the airbox so you have more space. Even though everyone says it's okay to pull it out without retracting the piston, I was super paranoid and did it anyway for peace of mind. That wasn't hard either using an M5x0.8x40mm bolt I got from OSH. The directions in the Helm manual and the writeup on this site were both very helpful.

I have to get the car really warm to be sure that the noise is gone, but it definitely sounds better so far.

Peter
Old 08-14-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Update....

The tensioner has done great through the weekend and AutoX.

So, at this point, the mod is a good idea. If anything changes I'll post it here. So....don't ask for periodic updates. No news is good news
Old 08-14-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Aug 14 2006, 05:31 PM
Update....

The tensioner has done great through the weekend and AutoX.

So, at this point, the mod is a good idea. If anything changes I'll post it here. So....don't ask for periodic updates. No news is good news
Thanks for the update. Any idea what the final length of the spring(s) were after you "stretched" them? I'll probably do this with my 1st tensioner and re-install it soon. I wonder if there would be any harm in installing a stiffer spring... i.e., extra wear on the tensioner arm, or something. Maybe somebody should try that idea. <wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.>
Old 08-22-2006, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so I think this just started happening to me as well.. just to make sure before i order the part.. I only hear this noise after i let go of the gas.. its a clicking sound.. but ONLY after i let go of the gas.. I read the entire post and it sounds like some people are hearing the niose at different times..
- ONLY when they start the car
- ONLY when they are on the gas
- ONLY when they let go of the gas

which is it? Or is the Timing Chain Tensioner causing all of them?

btw I am also interested in Billman's new product.. are u selling it now?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i'd just go ahead and change it. its most likely the tensioner, plus, its a cheap place to start. only cost 120 bucks and can be done in about 5 minutes. worse case scenario, thats not it, but hell, you'll have a brand new part in your car
Old 09-19-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah... I was never able to get mine to work. I'd stretch the spring, but the first time I compressed it, it would go back to its old shape/length.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bzyrice,Aug 22 2006, 07:10 PM
ok so I think this just started happening to me as well.. just to make sure before i order the part.. I only hear this noise after i let go of the gas.. its a clicking sound.. but ONLY after i let go of the gas.. I read the entire post and it sounds like some people are hearing the niose at different times..
- ONLY when they start the car
- ONLY when they are on the gas
- ONLY when they let go of the gas

which is it? Or is the Timing Chain Tensioner causing all of them?

btw I am also interested in Billman's new product.. are u selling it now?

Thanks!
yah. so i checked my oil and it was LOOOOWW.. so i changed my oil.. put it to the half way mark.. and guess what?! no more noise.. !!! please check ur oil before buying the part! thats my advice!!!

RJ

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Tensioner Noise