S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing Chain Tensioner Noise

Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just replaced my tct following the guid provided earlier in this thread

just wanted to say, GREAT WRITE-UP!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the only way to permantly cure the timming chain ticking . is to change everything as chris305 and blakknot did . change guides , chain , and sprockets
Old 08-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't kept up in this thread for a while and back then, the consensus seemed to be that sandblasting the worm gear was the solution. But the last couple of posts suggest otherwise, that all of the components be replaced. Is this the agreed upon solution now?

Come to think of it, the problem may be more than just a faulty tensioner design. My first tensioner problem happened between 70-80k miles. Subsequent problems occurred every 10k miles or so. blacknot seems to have the same story. Since Honda warranties their parts for 12 mo/12k miles, I received brand new tensioners from the dealer every time the noise started up, no questions asked. But they aren't doing that for me anymore. The dealer contacted the Honda tech line and was told I would need to replace all of the components. Since the first occurrence was at 70-80k miles and the subsequent replacements occurred in much shorter intervals, perhaps it's logical to assume that components other than (or along with) the tensioner (such as the chain, guides, etc) are the culprits.

So is replacing everything the acknowledged solution now? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did this a few hours ago, definitely very simple!

well it WOULD have been simple, except i was so happy with how easy it was that i popped my new TCT into place, and pulled the set pin right out.... before i bolted the TCT in place. bam, new TCT exploded everywhere. hahaha im an idiot, had to find a 5mm screw in my scraps to use and then compress the remaining mm or 2 with my table clamp. got it done though, and the sound is definitely gone.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

there is a fix for this tct problem. the worm gear inside smooths out over time from lack of lubrication. this is common when using mobil 1 oil. the fix was thought of by billman and put into action by minitoyota. about 5-6 of us in NJ have the fix. basically you take out your tct and have the worm gear sandblasted. then put it all back together with a screw and you need that little pin that comes on new ones. this is the solution without buying a new one.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by orangebarius,Aug 10 2009, 12:48 PM
there is a fix for this tct problem. the worm gear inside smooths out over time from lack of lubrication. this is common when using mobil 1 oil. the fix was thought of by billman and put into action by minitoyota. about 5-6 of us in NJ have the fix. basically you take out your tct and have the worm gear sandblasted. then put it all back together with a screw and you need that little pin that comes on new ones. this is the solution without buying a new one.
Thanks! Was this a response to my post?

I can see how that would happen. But I'm still mystified at how my first TCT failure came after 70k miles and that all subsequent replacements happened like every 10k miles. Maybe the worm gear gets worn, but perhaps the degradation happens in concert with the other parts (chain, rail) as well. Is my reasoning sound?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:29 AM

im not sure, i just made that post. i didnt read all 14 pages in this thread. just wanted to share my info with you guys. no need to waste money on a new tct every yr. just have the worm gear sandblasted. it should hold up and not smooth itself out anymore.

yea my stock one lasted 50k and my last one only about 15k.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 AM

All of my TCT replacements were free of charge because my dealer honored the 12 mo/12k miles parts warranty. After doing this about 5 times, they stopped lol. I mean, I'll certainly get the worm gear in the TCT sandblasted. But I'm wondering it that will just mask the noise symptom... a symptom indicating that perhaps the other parts are getting long in the tooth as well.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM

i think its just the tct. the worm gear gets smoothed out and doesnt do its job of putting tension on the timing chain like its supposed to do. without this tension, the chain has slack and that is the noise you are hearing.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding that last post from orangebarius, could this be the reason why a brand new chain tensioner is making noise, AGAIN, after 1.5k miles?

Got it new, installed it and now i get the noise again. And badly as well.
Start the car everything is normal, after a bit of spirited driving i stop the car and bam it hits. 1.5k miles tho? Thats a bit insane.

Any input guys? I am going nuts here...

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Tensioner Noise