S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing Chain Tensioner Noise

Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HiVolume,
Most of us here have changed out our TCT once, twice, even three times before. Each time temp. fixed the problem but it continued later on.
Most of us who had this problem were using Mobil 1 Oil (synthetic or not)
If you are using Mobil 1 oil, now would be a time to research other motor oils
Old 09-30-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car occasionaly does the same thing as this guys on cold starts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70hDPdXzmDo
Is that a TCT noise or a starter noise?

BTW - I read this: http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf and switched to Valvoline full syn from Mobil 1 syn. Also my friend has 155,000mi on his and tracks it 3 times as much as me and has no engine probs - he has been using Valvoline for years. I can't justify the price of RP but might make the switch eventualy.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 AM

On your video post, I cannot tell if it is anything. Try starting the car (somewhere other than a garage or car port) and letting it run for 5 sec. then slowly rev it.

You should be able to hear the TCT right after the start for a few seconds if it is going bad. Or, if it is bad, you will hear it at idle for pretty much whenever you drive.

My problem is hot starts. Cold starts, i'm running fine.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:25 AM

Yeah, its no t my video, but on the first start is when you hear it. On my car its always cold starts and maybe 2-3 times a month, its a loud "scratching" noise or "racheting" type noise that lasts maybe a second right when the starter button is pushed, then goes away imidiately. I dont have the card in the spokes noise, so I dunno wth it is but it always freaks me out when it happens.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Heres a better vid from the same guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nSoTfw3rrk listen for it right after the starter kicks on. It seems like it may be a starter issue because I think its the same noise you get if accidentaly push the starter button while the car is on, but I havnt checked that yet.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SlipAngle79,Sep 30 2008, 01:25 PM
Yeah, its no t my video, but on the first start is when you hear it. On my car its always cold starts and maybe 2-3 times a month, its a loud "scratching" noise or "racheting" type noise that lasts maybe a second right when the starter button is pushed, then goes away imidiately. I dont have the card in the spokes noise, so I dunno wth it is but it always freaks me out when it happens.
Do a search on starter afterrun and see if that is your issue.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:53 AM

In the FWIW category, I replaced my TCT twice and still had the problem. I have used Mobil 1 almost exclusively but tried Castrol Syntech for one oil change with no solution. Turns out my problem was the top bell housing bolt was completely backed out. The clutch was changed for the buzz at ~35k miles and they apparently didn't tighten the bolt properly. It backed out and was contacting the firewall, giving a very clear "card in the spokes" sound but also would give other noises depending on throttle position and it would go away for periods of time.

Anyone who has had the bell housing off should look carefully between the top of the motor and the firewall. It's tight but with a flashlight you can see the bolt (I found it by looking from the passenger's side). If the bolt is backed out, touching the firewall, the noise will randomly be present.

FWIW...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by billiardboy904,Sep 30 2008, 04:01 AM
HiVolume,
Most of us here have changed out our TCT once, twice, even three times before. Each time temp. fixed the problem but it continued later on.
Most of us who had this problem were using Mobil 1 Oil (synthetic or not)
If you are using Mobil 1 oil, now would be a time to research other motor oils
Interesting. I'm using Amsoil. Has anyone had issues with that oil?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 PM

anybody know a place in socal to get the worm gear sandblasted?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:18 AM

OK, so update for me.
2nd bad TCT, Bad clicking, BAD. I would have it at start and even through my powerband all the way up to 3000 RPM and it never went away no matter how far i Drove. every stop light sucked!

So, Last weekend I changed all my fluids again, (Engine oil, oil filter, Tranny fluid, Rear diff fluid) Anyways. To my surprise, Noise went away. I drove hard yesterday, (hot and cold motor) and the sound went away.

As we all have began noticing. This problem continues with owners whom use Mobil 1 engine oil. I switched to Royal Purple (6$ qt @ local shop) and bingo. TCT ticking gone!

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Tensioner Noise