S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing Chain Tensioner Noise

Old 09-16-2005, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

billman your right, I am sorry.

I actually had the cam tensioner replaced, but I mixed it up with the serpentine belt tensioner. Sorry.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

billman is the man.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:39 PM

Hey Billman, I am still under warranty so I am taking over to my buddy down here since the tensioner is pretty pricey. If we can get another car out there for the DIY guide, I would still come for pics, let me know.

My car is going in Monday for a cold start Tuesday, hopefully the will be able to get it all resolved.

Thanks anyways,
Sean
Old 09-16-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

It's cool.....

Please do not wind up like this guy and his tensioner:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=322085
Old 09-16-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there any specific reason why the chain tensioner fails on the S2000 ?
Old 09-17-2005, 11:52 AM

I too have recently had the same indications as everyone else that my tensioner is failing.

Will the tensioner break if I continue to drive around with it like it is? The noise I hear is very annoying!!! I will be taking it to get serviced, but I am concerned that it could break on the way to the shop.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:17 PM

I too have this high pitch squealing noise when the engine is in idle even on my 98 toyota sienna ... I've tried to isolate the noise but to no avail, I've tried spraying white lithium grease on the serpentine belt but the noise is still there so it must be the chain tensioner right?
Old 09-17-2005, 06:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did the install this afternoon. The job would only have taken me about 15 minutes if I did not document and take pics of the procedure. Make sure you do this on a cool engine.

After running the car for a while with the new tensioner in I noticed the the car is a lot quieter at idle. For the past couple of years I just attributed the noisy valve train of my S to that. I thought I just had a noisy one. It sounded like a diesel at idle sometimes or sounded like the valves were out of adjustment no matter how many times they were checked. Hardtopguy had also done a valve adjustment a couple times and I checked the clearances a month ago and all was good. I still have some valvetrain noise, but all S2000's do. I have not driven the car to get it nice and hot and restart it 10 minutes later to see if the really bad noise is gone (cards in bicycle wheel spokes sound) but since the car is so much quieter, the tensioner was probably weak for the past couple of years and just finally started to really fail as of late. To my knowledge, there is no way to test the tensioner installed in the car.

Here is what you will be looking at to replace the TIMING CHAIN AUTO TENSIONER. We will not be compressing the tensioner piston since we are doing a replacement. I will practice with that at a later date.
Tools needed:
T-50 hex
10 mm socket
Ratchet and short extension
Long tip/nose pliers

The tensioner is located under the vtec solenoid/valve on the front passenger side of the head.

A look at the bolts and the maintenance hole. (the larger brass bolt on the bottom left in the photo is not a tensioner bolt) You will see where the tensioner bolts are when you look at the new one.

Now remove the two bolts that hold the tensioner and the maintenance bolt. The maintenance bolt is a T-50 hex and the the others are 10mm. They are not tight.

Now remove the tensioner. It may take some rotation of the tensioner while pulling it out. Very little oil will come out, but there will be a good amount of leakage from the old tensioner since it works by oil pressure. Also, do not point the old tensioner down or the piston will fall out. The tensioner on top is the old one. As you can see, the piston has a lot of travel.

Now insert the new tensioner in the head and bolt it in place. The bolts do not need to be super tight. to helms only calls for 8.7 pound of torque. Make sure the set pin is facing the maintenance hole and the bend on the set pin is facing east so it sort of looks like this l__ If it is facing this way __l it is difficult to remove through the maintenance hole. Grab the set pin and pull it out a little at first then get a better grip on it and pull it all the way out. You will hear a "pop" when the piston extends. Do not drop the set pin within the engine. Who knows what damage that would do.

View of tensioner through maintenance hole.

Removal of set pin.

Looking at the old tensioner I noticed a flaw by one of the o-rings that the new one does not have. This may or may not contribute to a loss of oil pressure within the tensioner but there is no way to check that. If it does let the pressure drop, this could have partially been part of the problem. The tensioner would not have full internal oil pressure letting the chain have some slack making noise against the chain guides, but this is only a theory. The old tensioner is probably just plain old bad.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Job!

Great write-up with photos.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:15 AM

My MY02 has 10,000 miles and at this time I don't have any of the sounds/symptoms of a failing tensioner. Is this something I should do as a preventative maintenance item or will I have time to safely replace it once the symptoms start. Thanks to all who have contributed with helpful info in this thread.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Tensioner Noise