S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Timing Chain Service

Old 12-29-2020, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Service

Hey S2ki forum members, I’ve obtained a lot of knowledge off these’s forums over the years. So I want to give back to the community. Ok so with all that out of the way. I currently drive a white 2005 S2k AP2 with 137k thousand miles which Ive owned for 10 years. I plan on keeping this car for the long term so now its time for me to perform some long term maintenance. I recently performed a timing chain guide and tensioner replacement on my S2k and video documented the entire process on my Youtube channel in detail. So if you guys are interested in performing a timing chain tensioner replacement or are just curious to see what is involved in the process just click the link below. Also keep this link handy because I will post various other maintenance items with the S2k.

YouTube Channel; Locosoulstuningmods
https://www.youtube.com/user/merkmanin85/featured
Old 12-29-2020, 10:22 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Out of curiosity, why did you bother replacing all of this at all? I thought the timing chain was good for the life of the car?
Old 12-30-2020, 03:46 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Not going to go through all 9 videos, was just the chain and guides replaced and not the sprockets?
Old 12-30-2020, 05:36 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

The cam timing system is the Achilles heal of modern engines. Either they have a belt which needs regular changing, and neglecting it can cause instant engine destruction if it breaks (on interference engines), or they have a chain that has a tct that is inexplicably located internal to the engine (and these often have chain guides that wear out sooner than you'd expect). Either way, on some cars, especially the German variety, servicing either belt or chain often requires an excessive amount of disassembly of body and engine.

So its a revelation that a car with such a high achieving engine as ours has such a robust, well designed timing system. The only issues that typically occur are limited to the tct, which is wisely located external to the engine, the part isn't German car expensive and can be replaced in under 15 min, and doesn't involve getting dirty. Plus there is a superior part available (Billman tct) that is lifetime guaranteed, and has a proven track record.

So far I haven't heard of anyone having to break open their engine to resolve timing system issues on their S. Not that some haven't done this, but by all accounts it wasn't required.

But I'm glad you made these videos. But it would be useful to let us know why you thought your timing system needed service beyond just a tct. Maybe we will all learn something!
Old 12-30-2020, 06:07 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

Installing a new chain AND a ballade tct at the same time is a guaranteed recipe for an engine full of metal. The new chain will move the guide outwards against a tensioner that is way too long for it.

You now have a new chain on worn sprockets creating a natural mismatch. Powdered metal.
Raise the chain tension over 10x what it needs to be, compounding the powdered metal production from the chain, the sprockets, and the camwheel bushing.

No all original S2000 with 137k miles is anywhere even close to needing a timing chain.
The following 3 users liked this post by Billman250:
Bullwings (01-15-2021), Slowcrash_101 (12-30-2020), windhund116 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 08:26 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The cam timing system is the Achilles heal of modern engines. Either they have a belt which needs regular changing, and neglecting it can cause instant engine destruction if it breaks (on interference engines), or they have a chain that has a tct that is inexplicably located internal to the engine (and these often have chain guides that wear out sooner than you'd expect). Either way, on some cars, especially the German variety, servicing either belt or chain often requires an excessive amount of disassembly of body and engine.

So its a revelation that a car with such a high achieving engine as ours has such a robust, well designed timing system. The only issues that typically occur are limited to the tct, which is wisely located external to the engine, the part isn't German car expensive and can be replaced in under 15 min, and doesn't involve getting dirty. Plus there is a superior part available (Billman tct) that is lifetime guaranteed, and has a proven track record.

So far I haven't heard of anyone having to break open their engine to resolve timing system issues on their S. Not that some haven't done this, but by all accounts it wasn't required.

But I'm glad you made these videos. But it would be useful to let us know why you thought your timing system needed service beyond just a tct. Maybe we will all learn something!
i know what you mean, especially if you're talking about the audi v6 engines. the s2000 system is way simpler, and as a result more robust. the older audi v6 had four chains, four tensioners, and a lot of little plastic guides. in their newer v6 designs, they switched to two longer chains which use longer guides and less tensioners. hopefully that's the end of that nightmare.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:15 AM

Received 1,230 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The timing belt was required maintenance on all my Civics (we probably had 10 over the years) and was specified in the owner's manual. Only failure was my wife's broke on startup in our garage at roughly 100K miles (the day she was taking it in for service) but caused no internal damage. Pushed it out onto a flatbed tow truck and it was ready that afternoon or the next day. Don't know the details but it's apparently an easy change on that vintage Civic.

Now I'm curious: I'm guessing Honda still uses a timing belt since failure is benign as to damage? We've not owned any vehicle with a timing belt since 2014 when the last Civic was destroyed in a rear end collision, all are DOHC and all have chains.

-- Chuck
Old 01-10-2021, 10:22 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The timing belt was required maintenance on all my Civics (we probably had 10 over the years) and was specified in the owner's manual. Only failure was my wife's broke on startup in our garage at roughly 100K miles (the day she was taking it in for service) but caused no internal damage. Pushed it out onto a flatbed tow truck and it was ready that afternoon or the next day. Don't know the details but it's apparently an easy change on that vintage Civic.

Now I'm curious: I'm guessing Honda still uses a timing belt since failure is benign as to damage? We've not owned any vehicle with a timing belt since 2014 when the last Civic was destroyed in a rear end collision, all are DOHC and all have chains.

-- Chuck
i would you guess that you just got lucky because i'm guessing that was an interference engine. just guessing. i'm also guessing that honda and every engine manufacturer has switched to chains. everything i said was just a guess.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:04 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528
i would you guess that you just got lucky because i'm guessing that was an interference engine. just guessing. i'm also guessing that honda and every engine manufacturer has switched to chains. everything i said was just a guess.
I believe Honda uses chains in all 4cyl engines but the V6 still have belts