S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Time for a Ring Job - Lessons Learned?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a Ring Job - Lessons Learned?

Its time for a ring job. I have lots of smoke and my oil runs low every 1k mi.

I'm exploring some options and I'm curious to hear some feedback

1.) Do it myself
2.) Have Honda do it ($1500)
3.) Have an independent shop do it
4.) Go crazy and do a full engine rebuild

Suggestions from someone who has been there and done that would be great.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I had a buddy of mine do mine for me, we put new rings in a 60k mile block. I've only got 300 miles on the new setup, but it feels strong, and I haven't used a drop of oil yet. I haven't done a compression test though. He also did his own motor a few months ago and his car has been running really well, excellent compression, no oil burning, and clean running oil since the change.

Choose someone that really knows these motors, there are lots of critical torque values on many parts of the motor, you want to get it right. You also have to make sure the engine is worth rebuilding once you get it apart, so they need to know what to look for. $1,500 from Honda doesn't sound like a bad deal if they do it right.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I had a buddy of mine do mine for me, we put new rings in a 60k mile block. I've only got 300 miles on the new setup, but it feels strong, and I haven't used a drop of oil yet. I haven't done a compression test though. He also did his own motor a few months ago and his car has been running really well, excellent compression, no oil burning, and clean running oil since the change.

Choose someone that really knows these motors, there are lots of critical torque values on many parts of the motor, you want to get it right. You also have to make sure the engine is worth rebuilding once you get it apart, so they need to know what to look for. $1,500 from Honda doesn't sound like a bad deal if they do it right.
Great advice. Let me ask you, was your car feeling like it was sandbagging before you replaced the rings? Mine is feeling much slower.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Do it yourself, if you have the mechanical know-how. If you do your research, you can always find a good mechanic, possibly even ones specific to manufacture. Although the safety-net answer will always be the dealer, of course at a premium price.

I've never done them on my Ap1, however I have ringed a few vehicles. Clean the groves thoroughly, break an old ring in half and use that to get in here or if you have the funds just replace the internals (no cleaning). Done properly, will require engine assembly lube, gasket set, grey sealer, tools, and information.

What you need to do is run a compression or leak-down test (both preferably). Regardless a full engine rebuild done properly should improve conditions although it may not be physically experienced.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM

I have my compression and leak-down scheduled shortly. I'm fairly certain with all this oil I've burned a good cleaning would help also.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jib2222
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1345673146' post='21957129

Great advice. Let me ask you, was your car feeling like it was sandbagging before you replaced the rings? Mine is feeling much slower.
Oh I lost several bearings on my original motor. I bought a used motor wih 60k on it, and freshened it up with new rings and bearings and seals. We cleaned all of the pistons like Deekay mentioned, that is important while they are out of the motor, to get them nice and clean for the new rings.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Oh I lost several bearings on my original motor. I bought a used motor wih 60k on it, and freshened it up with new rings and bearings and seals. We cleaned all of the pistons like Deekay mentioned, that is important while they are out of the motor, to get them nice and clean for the new rings.

What did you do with your motor?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jib2222
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1345679916' post='21957372

What did you do with your motor?
The block is sitting at my buddy's house in Tennessee, looking for a buyer that wants to re-sleeve it, some racers tend to like blocks like that, we re-used my original head after freshening it up with new valve seals and valve lapping.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 PM

I dont have all the tools nor the experience I feel I need to rebuild an engine like this. If it was a truck I would have no problem.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM

I wouldnt build the motor unless your planning on boosting it. If its just the rings i would just yank the head, hone the walls, and throw new rings on. This way it will only take a short time and you wont have to take the whole powertrain out of the car. Also it will only cost you whatever the rings are and some gaskets.

Quick Reply: Time for a Ring Job - Lessons Learned?