S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Time To Change The Clutch!

Old 02-05-2011, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time To Change The Clutch!

It's time for me to change my clutch and I need suggestions the best way to go.If the tranny is going to be out I might as well change everything so I wanna change the pressure plate,clutch, and flywheel. What brands are good for the s2k I have an 04
Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 PM

Go with the Ap1 setup! Ap1 clutch and flywheel, pressure plate etc. Will last forever and be better than your AP2 setup!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM

Ur talking about everything stock? No brands?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its time to change your clutch, its very likely that you may need to change the pressure plate and flywheel as well, or at least resurface the flywheel.

Changing the clutch was one of the first things i had to do on the S. My suggestions:

Get a clutch without clutch buzz... its annoying.

Get a friend who knows what he is doing

Follow several of the DIY guides available online for clutch changes on the S.

Have all of the proper tools.. the tranny is heavy, and if it falls on you under there.......

Have plenty of time set aside for it

USE A LIFT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO ONE.. i did mine on jackstands which just lead to a lot of cussing and cramps.

and most of all, have fun with the starter bolt. You'll know what im talking about when you are done.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:07 PM

And as far as good brands.. i dunno.. a clutch is a clutch unless its made with cheap materials. What are your goals, or what kind of power are you making? You dont need anything like a 6 puck stage 2 clutch with fancy blah blah if you are stock. I got a stage 2 competition clutch and it just made the car difficult as shit to drive for the first 200 miles. And it just buzzes. I cant wait until I burn it out so I can replace it with something quieter.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:22 PM

How do I know if it buzzes or not? I don't have much power I got simple bolt on header, cold air catback...so I just wanna get a good clutch I was looking through eBay and I saw the Act clutch and pressure plate for 500 free shipping idk if that's good. I was thinking street clutch 50/50 because I do step on it from time to time
Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 PM

And I don't think I'll be planning on doing it myself I have done clutch swaps before but on my civics which are nothing lol
Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM

To find out if there is buzzing, Id just search for whats available for the S in the price range you are looking for, and just use the search function on these boards to see if you can find some reviews on those specific brands. Check the sponsor threads to find good prices on clutches. I got my competition clutch from a guy on these boards who works for competition clutch. He had one they were using for R&D which was still pretty much brand new, except not new enough for them to sell on the market. Which means I got it for cheap.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Thanks man!^^

And other suggestions?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by civic si121,Feb 5 2011, 06:23 PM
And I don't think I'll be planning on doing it myself I have done clutch swaps before but on my civics which are nothing lol
A clutch change on the S is a lot easier then on a civic, or any front wheel drive car.. taking the axles in and out is a pain, the S is by far one of the easiest clutch changes i've ever performed in my drive way

Quick Reply: Time To Change The Clutch!