S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

tickking, tapping, annoying!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tickking, tapping, annoying!

So, i bought my s2k in Jan 010, and it drove great. Never had a problem with, maybe drove it for 1k miles at the most until i think about mid march i started hearing this on and off ticking noise. Well it got worse as i was hopeing it would go away.(very foolish of me to do that ) Well it never did, and i came to conclusion it was my oil. I know these vtecs like to sip alot of oil so ever since that happened i check my oil religeously!!! But unfortunatly theres still a faint ticking. especially if its hot and muggy out. But if its a 70 degree night with a full moon, CAR RUNS AMAZING!!! Ballsee as hell.
so theres a few things that they might be but i dont know where to start so maybe someone on here can tell me.....these are a few problems ive herd that are related to my problem:
1. timing chain?
2. rods?
3. berrings?
4. bad cylinder area?(i read this on another forum, dood said that if the plug is black, have honda check it out becasue it could be cylinder damage).

SO my question is, has anyone ever had this problem? Have you ever successfully been able to fix it? If its an easy fix, then please fill me in, i would love to have my perfect running car back. Thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have to describe, or post a video of the sound for us to help you diagnose the sound man. A ticking can be alot of things on our engine.

Does it sound like a card in bike spokes?
Does the sound increase, or go faster when revving?

If you can just describe the sound a little better, you will get some better reponses.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Ya i guess i could have described the sound more, but its like a constant faint ticking, kinda like a card in bike spokes, when i first herd it i thought it was a clicking pully(its that rythmic) but it wasent becasue as soon as i changed my oil the ticking faded greatly.

And the ticking does get faster as the RPMs rise.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Good luck my friend... I've had this same thing for months, posted videos, etc. No one can pin point my TiCK! I've done 2 valve adjustments just to be sure, replaced my TCT, I run Amsoil... etc. If you find your TICK, please PM me

Next step is to get a stethoscope and try to pin it down... ?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:52 AM

Ya it sucks, Honda just ignors me now because i go there everyother day trying to explain them that this tick isnt normal.

Im going to check my plugs when i get home, try and see if its a cylinder, thats the one place i havent checked.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It depends on this 'tick' you hear.

Sometimes you find people obsessing over the injector ticking open and closed.

On higher mileage motors this ticking is often covered up by buildup. If injector cleaner is run or high grade gas they clean up getting louder.

Most often the 'card in the spoke' noise it the TCT.

Occasionally the cams are worn from hard driving, time between old changes and you get valve chatter. Only fixable with new arms (so I understand it).

In general these motors sound like 200hp sewing machines.

Yes, the delearship isn't going to tell you how to fix it or entertain your discussions. You're out of warranty so they're not getting paid and you certainly aren't asking them to fix it for a fee. Let's not forget your car is 7+ years old now and possibly multiple owners/abusers.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If the sound decreases after an oil change, it's most likely the Timing Chain Tensioner. You should search on this forum for the sandblasting technique, it'll fix it permanently... if you replace the TCT it'll develop the same problem again.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Thanks guys. I am going to check the tct when i get home as well, i just want it to go away, i fear it never will. i mean the honda guys here are alright, they bear with me come out to my car and check with me if they hear a sound, but i think they think im crazy.

The wierd thing is, the owner before me was a 6ft asain woman who was an attorny and the only owner....dont think she was up real late racing haha
Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people will say timing chain tensioner, but I say valve adjustment. My car is an 05 with 33k miles. I had a ticking that sounded a lot like the way you described yours. I replaced my TCT and discovered that wasn't the problem. My original one was still brand new looking no wear at all, no tattered O-rings. I did a valve adjustment last week and now my car sounds and feels new again. Sounds quiet enough to hear all the other creaks and moans I haven't been able to hear, which might or might not be a good thing.

My clicking would slightly go away with a fresh oil change but would come back with less than 1k miles on the oil. I can't believe how much the valve adjustment helped my case.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 PM

good to know. thanks

Quick Reply: tickking, tapping, annoying!