S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ticking... still...

Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might give that a go.. I installed Comptech Headers so I will get it checked over.. again.. I actually have a feeling mines leaking at the same spot (pre cat at the doughnut gasket) as I swear thats where it sounds like its coming from.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you reused donut gasket... congrats, you have a leak, i know mine is leaking there, and i had the fun misfire crap, so i had to do a valve adjust.

as for mine, i dont have alot of free time right now... im still in college and its finals week. But im going to order all new gaskets, and bolts and see what i can do. What did you do to "clean" them? and ive heard some people use a small bead of some exhaust sealer, but im not sure what sealer or if its worth a crap.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Replaced and sealed the donut gasket and it's still there

I will keep hunting and hoping it is an exhaust leak..
Old 05-01-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

after market lightweight headers will transmit valve noise much more than the heavier and heat-shielded oem headers. I noticed more ticking noises after I installed my Mugen header, and I have a factory exhaust system. Exhaust valve noise transmits easier through aftermarket headers, my valves are properly adjusted and my exhaust is oem, but I can hear the exhaust valves much louder after the header was changed.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Yeah I have been told this too, I guess I'm just trying to be extra careful and since there is no videos of what its meant to sound like with the new Comptech Headers then I have no reference. Also no other S2000s around here have these headers either so it makes it hard. My car has gone through its major service after the header install and my mech has gone over the engine with a stethoscope and said everything is fine there..
Old 05-02-2011, 06:26 PM

Ok, well i pulled off my header, it was the culprit, here is the link to what happened to mine!

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/860...headers-issue/

waiting for berk to send a replacement
Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Video

Watch the video above, this is the noise that has come around the same time I got new Comptech Headers installed. I have replaced the donut gasket and also had 3 people look at it and say theres no leak where the headers meet the engine. The noise is still there, any opinion on what it sounds like or if it just sounds normal after installing thinner headers?

I can take another video from inside the engine bay tonight.. might help too

Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 AM

lol sounds pretty similar to what mine sounded like. I know there will be more exhaust valve noise due to thinner walls and such, but you may try to pull off the header and look for any burn marks on the gasket up at the engine... thats where mine was. you also have to retighten a few times after an install because it expands a few times.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 PM

MINE sounds like that too! I have plm headers with stock cat and exhaust and had a tappet adjustment 5k ago. If this helps, i reused the donut and gaskets. Is this sound in anyway hurting th car?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:02 PM

not too sure Jaysun,

here is another video - Click Here taken from within the engine bay. There is definitely a tick there and its taken with my phone so not the best quality..

Does it sound like yours importedpower? If so, have you received the new headers that fixed the issue yet?

Quick Reply: Ticking... still...