S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ticking... still...

Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ticking... still...

Ok, long story short, my s2000 has been making a sort of clicking sound, like a rapid tick-k-k-k-k. It started FOREVER ago, and i tried replacing the TCT with a billman TCT and it didnt help, still ticking! tried retightening exhaust, nothing, my mechanic Tuan said it sounds like an exhaust leak, and after him and his bro listened around it, the sound is coming from the header side of the motor, they both seem to think it sounds like an exhaust leak. also had a valve adjust 3k or so ago.

What other things could it be? so far ive heard:
Valves ticking
injectors clicking
main bearing going out (?)
Exhaust leak
Bad TCT

input/ideas?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha we just talked about this last night, oh well, hope you get it fixed, as do I need to.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:47 AM

yea i wanting to get opinions... any of that is fine by me unless its the damn main bearing... ima pull my pan later and look for shavings... but for an issue with so many posts, there are NO answers... i see a few fixed by tct, and a few valve adjusts, but many just go unanswered
Old 04-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Also having this problem which my mech thought was an exhaust leak. He re-sealed the headers perfectly and its still there. Whenever i watch TCT videos my tick isnt as loud or harsh as theirs, however it has appeared while owning the car. Im stuck on what to think of next also, could be injectors so I'm told. I dunno if its normal or bad -.-

Just had a major service where the valves were adjusted and he said the engine is running great. Tick still noticeable though
Old 04-15-2011, 04:11 AM

Yea, ive been down the same road... im wanting to boost but idk what that crap is
Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some manifold exhaust leaks are difficult to find. A stethescope can be used. If that fails, try looking evrywhere around the manifold for any discoloration of metal, especially the heat shields. You may need one of those dental mirrors and a flashlight as well. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:29 AM

I have a berk powdercoated header... discoloration isnt going to help much
Old 04-16-2011, 04:08 AM

If it were me i'd borrow or find a header off a friend and just swap one night....obviously if it still does it then you know its not an exhaust leak and you could go from there. Thats alot of work for some people i understand that, just saying what I would do. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:42 AM

same problem. what i did to get ride of it. Took off my entire exhaust, cleaned it(it was dirty lol) and put new gaskets on everything. replaced from header back and 0 leakes....dont waste your money on valve adjustments. valves are much louder than what your hearing and plus, its a honda, they click lol.

most of the time these ppls clicks are just exhaust leaks. eos
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 AM

Skunk2 exhaust, berk headers, Invida 70mm testpipe <---- this is the recipe for exhaust leak. im telling you. go spend a few bux and buy some gaskets and spend a day redoing your exhaust. I found mine was leaking pre cat at the doughnut gasket. just some food for thought. i really hope you find your leak..well in your case the leak/tick...trust me, ive had this problem, and come to think of it...I only ever got the "tick" after i put a complete exhaust on my car(header, tp, catback). So try that before wasting your money and time on oils and valve adjustments.

Quick Reply: Ticking... still...