S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ticking noise during idle

Old 01-23-2016, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vynth92
One again, this is not piston slap. None of the symptoms match.. please see my above post.

If it was, the noise would go away once the pistons warmed up and they expanded to fill the gap.

Over 45 min of driving in 60+ degree weather did not eliminate (or even dull) the sound. This does not match up.

No clutch/gearing combination changes the sound in any way.

The exterior ticking noise sounds like it is coming from the fuel rail area, or the valve cover. However, the exterior ticking does not match the interior ticking speed that can be heard by the driver side footwell.
Yes sorry. I'm not the most engine-mechanically inclined fellow. I just read around these threads and there's usually a pattern of things people look at or consider when it's a noise. I just noticed that nobody had mentioned piston slap so I wasn't sure if you had searched that or not. Sorry for the confusion, was just trying to widen the search.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries. Just most folks on here jump to conclusions by assuming I haven't exhausted the search function for typical issues.

The reason this post was bumped by me is because some of the characteristics are unique from all the potential problems I mentioned before. We will search more extensively tomorrow when we tear everything apart.

Billman actually mentioned it might be something loose in the engine bay when I initially had this problem. I checked fairly thoroughly and didn't find anything.

Tomorrow there will be two more people that are far more mechanically inclined than I looking at it though.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:39 AM

Steelers743,

Have you actually cleaned the injectors, or used a fuel additive such as Redline to try and fix the issue?

I'd be curious to know what you've done so far to try and fix the issue, and how long the issue has peristed.

I think I'm going on almost three weeks now.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought the car so not sure how long it has persisted. I originally figured it was just noisy injectors or needed valve adjustment. I changed to new Mobil synthetic, OEM plugs, and valve adjustment and noise is still there. But now that it got more cold I noticed it kicks in a idle. Engine still pulls hard and data logging with flash pro I haven't noticed anything abnormal. What year is your car mine is an 07. I have some tektron injector cleaner I am going to run through and see if it helps but I am going to guess it won't.

If it was indeed injector tick would it be more pronounced during idle? I also don't notice the noise once I Rev up, it ether goes away or gets drowned out by the engine so cant tell if the ticking interval increases but it definitely doesn't get louder.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 PM

Update: Still no fix to this issue.

TCT was replaced. I'm at a loss but it's too noisy to not notice. Anyone else have any suggestions not already mentioned?

Would spark plugs cause this at 62k miles?
Old 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed my spark plugs with brand new OEMs and still have it.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:01 AM

Is there a unique part that engages at 4-5 sec into idle rpms only and is independent of rpm rotation/speed of the engine?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:52 PM

Exact same symptom with mine, ticking at idle audible from the cabin, a bit from the passengers side fender, but not traceable with hood up. Mine started doing it right after i installed a Toda exhaust manifold
Old 02-10-2016, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Vynth92
Is there a unique part that engages at 4-5 sec into idle rpms only and is independent of rpm rotation/speed of the engine?
I think the fuel tank ventilation only engages during idle
Old 12-10-2016, 10:27 AM

I just want to add to this:

I have the same issue.
Ticking only heard at idle and when the air temp is cold [maybe 40's or below].
This is the first time I've driven my car in the winter [cold weather] so I've noticed it now that we've had temps in the 30' and 20's in Atlanta.
Even when my engine is fully warmed up the ticking is still there so it is not piston slap.

Car seems 100% fine apart from the ticking at idle on cold days.

2006 with about 45,000 miles.
Valve adjustment last done around 34,000.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise during idle