S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ticking Noise... Cracked Retainers?

Old 06-26-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Noise... Cracked Retainers?

Hi all, I have a F22 engine in my AP1 chassis (engine was off an '05). Unfortunately, I wasn't the owner of the car when the swap had taken place so I have no knowledge of the actual swap, the history of the engine, or the mechanical install.

I'm no mechanic, engineer or one who has knowledge of correct terms for all things car-related, so this will be a bit difficult to understand:

Ever since I owned the car (3 months ago), there's been a "ticking" noise coming from the engine. It occurs on start up (cold and hot, but more evident during hot start ups). When given to my mechanic (and good friend) that same weekend I picked up the car, he warned me that it could be my retainers cracked causing the noise. I did a bit of research and several posts on this forum led me to believe that the AP2 retainers cracking were not a common thing, in fact - there's been no reports of it. I ignored the issue and drove it for 3 months.

Fast forward 3 months, I got my valve cover gaskets replaced (old ones were disgusting! Another post for another day on those...), and upon visual inspection, we found hairline cracks on two of the retainers on the exhaust side.

Has anyone ever heard of this being an issue? I didn't think to snap any pictures at the time, but now I wish I have to compare and show everyone. He told me to drive it gingerly until I fix it. Should I just bite the bullet and fix it ASAP?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Fix it ASAP. Do a search for "Billman250" and cracked retainers.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:06 PM

cracked retainers do not cause a ticking noise. you likely have a bent valve causing the noise. either way, the retainers need to be replaced since they are cracked before you drop a valve
Old 06-26-2014, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an expert either but I do know that F22 retainers are a lot less susceptible to damage than F20's. Unless you had a major mechanical over-rev (mis-shift).
Also, I believe the only way to identify 'damaged retainers' is that they will appear 'sunken' rather than have physical cracks. Your mechanic may be seeing things...?

The generic 'ticking' sounds that are common on these cars (without hearing a an audio/video clip of your actual noise) is the TCT. It can be more prevalent at warm starts. I believe it can also be hear best with the hood up standing approximately 6 ft. from the front of the car. It could also be that your valve clearances need adjusting.

Please search these topics first before you let that mechanic touch your car. I wouldn't drive it until you figure it out, just in case I am wrong.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you can allready see the crack from above (*), IOW without removing the retainer, I would not start that engine anymore.
IIRC there are no posts or pictures of AP2/F22/"new style" retainers with cracks that bad, in that they are visible from above (*)
Not even of the AP1 retainers I think.
(*) = visible by only removing the valve cover.
Cracked retainers only make noise once: when the engine drops a valve and goes BOOM!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ticking is likely from bad valve clearances.
Billman just found his first set of cracked retainers on the exhaust side, very rare, I assume even more so on an AP2.
Got any pics?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not drive the car. Cracked retainers are ticking time bombs. They WILL let go and you WILL drop a valve. Kaboom, engine toast. AP2 exhaust retainer cracks are rare, but regardless of what caused them to crack (maybe a severe over-rev. AP2 can sustain a moderate 1 gear over-rev fine, but if you make piston contact, that's another story), they need to be replaced ASAP!!!

As mentioned, ticking could be valve clearance, which will be altered due to cracked retainers.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 AM

Thanks all, I will get the retainers replaced ASAP. For the time being, it'll sit.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Broken retainers make no noise at all.

If you have ap2 retainers, the chances of them being broken is near impossible.

I'm confident your noise is not retainer related.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Post photo's of the "cracked" retainers before spending $.
Also, look for "etched / sandblasted " wear marks on the cams / rollers.
And no, cracked = raised retainers do not change valve clearance.
Bend valves does, btw.

Quick Reply: Ticking Noise... Cracked Retainers?