S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

tick tick tick noise

Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tick tick tick noise

I've searched/google, and still not sure what it is. Car has 96k miles, 4th owner, not sure what all has been done with the previous owners. All stock besides a test pipe, I run 5w-30 royal purple with K&N filter. On cold start you wont be able to hear the noise, but after the engine has warm up to 8 bars I get this slight ticking from time to time. Its not always constant, it'll tick at idle then go away and come back or if i slightly rev the car in neutral. When i'm driving the car its quiet, you can't hear the noise. Not sure if its the beginning phase of my TCT wearing out but i would like confirmation on it, I thought it was valves but i would assume it would constantly tick if it was, not sure if valve has ever been adjusted. I know the noise is coming from the front of the valve cover, so i pulled the valve cover to check and see if there were any wear on the chain or any shavings but i didn't find nothing. nothing seem out of the ordinary, so my only assumption is that the TCT is giving out. Please provide any input on how i should proceed to go about this.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:14 AM

Does it still make the sound when you put the clutch in when you're sitting at idle?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:17 AM

Is it the typical injector tick? Or something different? The injectors are pretty loud
Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by xLostx
Does it still make the sound when you put the clutch in when you're sitting at idle?
does it regardless clutch in or out, unless i'm driving the car then you can't hear it.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by redwing497
Is it the typical injector tick? Or something different? The injectors are pretty loud
i assume its the beginning phase of TCT wearing out, not sure. 1st s2000 i've owned, and all my other honda that i have own has been belt driven so i'm new to this chain thing. if it was the injectors tick, i would assume it be a constant tick, the noise goes away if i rev the car high enough, probably because of the higher oil pressure.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could also be normal valve noise. I just had mine adjusted by Honda and now there's a slight tick like you described. Basically, if a valve is adjusted to the high end of the tolerance range it's likely to tick.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's probably the TCT. Usually the TCT is apparent at idle. Sounds like a card in bike spokes. Once the RPMs rise you don't hear it anymore. Mine used to make noise at cold start up and then fade away. Would eventually come back when the motor is warm
Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
It's probably the TCT. Usually the TCT is apparent at idle. Sounds like a card in bike spokes. Once the RPMs rise you don't hear it anymore. Mine used to make noise at cold start up and then fade away. Would eventually come back when the motor is warm
I have a noise that sounds like its coming from the TCT area, but I hear it almost all the time.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by spessx
Could also be normal valve noise. I just had mine adjusted by Honda and now there's a slight tick like you described. Basically, if a valve is adjusted to the high end of the tolerance range it's likely to tick.
did it tick before you took it in? if your getting ticking after i think honda may have screwed up your adjustments, honda sometime dont wait til the engine is cold before making the adjustment so usually the adjustments are off. valve adjustments need to be done with a engine cold.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
That's what I'm thinking that its the TCT, but it doesn't sound like anything in the videos that i have seen. i dont know hopefully time will tell, just hopefully it wont be too late. Weird thing is it doesn't tick with a cold engine only when its warm that it ticks and its not a constant ticking. it go away then come back, slightly reving the car, its ticks faster.

Quick Reply: tick tick tick noise