S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

That 'tick' sound on acceleration - discovered source!

Old 11-30-2001, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU for sharing this! I've had the tick for a while... maybe 6-7k miles now... lately I've noticed it's rough under accelleration.... This is definitely good news.... Now I just wish my other car was running so I had transportation... did they offer you a loaner?
Old 12-01-2001, 02:52 PM

Thanks for posting your findings, this problem affects many S2000 owners, including myself.

Andrew
Old 12-03-2001, 05:07 PM

The dealer called and after they changed the CV joints of another S2K without improving anything, and talking to the Honda techs(techline?), they are going to aligin my driveshaft on Thursday!?!?

Wish me luck,

Pierre
Old 12-03-2001, 06:07 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by Pierre'stook
The dealer called and after they changed the CV joints of another S2K without improving anything, and talking to the Honda techs(techline?), they are going to aligin my driveshaft on Thursday!?!?

Wish me luck,

Pierre
Never heard of that, do you know what that means exactly? Do they use a left handed spanner wrench for that? j/k

BTW, Good Luck
Old 12-03-2001, 06:08 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Well I still have the vibration. Its not gotten much worse but its getting colder out and I am not doing my big long hard runs now. So it looks like its the bearings/half shaft.

This SHOULD be covered under your warrantee!!!! Though for me finding a COMPETENT DEALERSHIP is going to be one hell of a project!
Old 12-03-2001, 10:11 PM

Yep, now I finally realize why the car has taken so much flack for being a HONDA... on my accord and prelude I never had to have any warranty work done, now that I do I'm regretting buying a honda... it's just not the same service as Lexus, BMW, or even Infiniti... price ya pay for a car you really love I suppose...
Old 12-04-2001, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me throw you a curve. I have the same ticking/clicking noise, had all the same shit done as you but it's still there. Ever changed the brake pads? Jamb a thick piece of paper (like part of a business card) between the caliper and the pads and see if the problem goes away. You can't leave it in there but for the purpose of diagnostics. The clicking from mine is the pads shifting around inside and caliper and within the retainer clips (I'm almost 100% sure anyway). The clicking only happens after the brakes are released. If I'm wrong, sue me, but that just might be the problem.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by cthree
Let me throw you a curve. I have the same ticking/clicking noise, had all the same shit done as you but it's still there. Ever changed the brake pads? Jamb a thick piece of paper (like part of a business card) between the caliper and the pads and see if the problem goes away. You can't leave it in there but for the purpose of diagnostics. The clicking from mine is the pads shifting around inside and caliper and within the retainer clips (I'm almost 100% sure anyway). The clicking only happens after the brakes are released. If I'm wrong, sue me, but that just might be the problem.
I've heard that explanation too. Maybe the noise is different from yours and the original poster's. Can't really tell without hearing it, but I too noticed a noice when taking off from a stop after the brakes were applied. It's more of a deeper clunk sound. Someone needs to make an audio clip!!!
Old 12-04-2001, 06:27 AM

Yah, on mine, you can be rolling slowly, then blip the gas and the momentum will make the click, it also vibrates under accelleration at 60-100mph, but as soon as you let off the gas, it's smooth again... I've also noticed the vibration when turning right, I'm thinking wheel bearing or CV is to blame for my case.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:50 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PDX S2000
[B]Yah, on mine, you can be rolling slowly, then blip the gas and the momentum will make the click, it also vibrates under accelleration at 60-100mph, but as soon as you let off the gas, it's smooth again...