S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

That 'tick' sound on acceleration - discovered source!

Old 11-12-2001, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a very noticeable vibration from the left rear, but only when I am turning right and acclerating hard as on a freeway on ramp ( or very often on a clockwise track ).

It was very hard to reproduce for the technician to feel, since the dealer in nowhere near a long righthand turn, but I succeeded in demonstrating it. I had to improvise with the city streets with the result that the technician now believes I drive like.......what was his expression?.......oh yes.......like a f___en "&?/*@
Old 11-12-2001, 11:51 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Pierre, please do keep us posted on that, I also have this right hand turn phenomenon but didn't know if was the same problem or a completely different one from the thread topic.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, my problem seems to be independent of rpm, it's only when the engine is loaded at specific speed, doesn't matter what rpm or gear.

i'm taking my car in tomorrow, i'll update you guys on what i find out!
Old 11-12-2001, 01:40 PM

please keep us all informed. I will probably have to take my car in as well.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:48 PM

i tried to open the bolt on the diffential unit.....forget it....that sh@t's sealed tight and i dont have air.

anyways, my s2000 is lowered and i had my oem camber adjusted some time back. i thought that maybe the adjustment went bad but a local alignment shop said that its probably because my springs arent sitting correctly.

that could be true....maybe the coilover is hitting the wishbone?

i havent chked my cv boots (whether the rubber is torn or not)

but im to the point where im going to have someone stop-n-go drive my car while i observe.......

yes...someone please go to the dealership because i freakn tired of changing back and forth between my stock and comptech springs, readjusting, and realigning and taking to the dealer!
Old 11-27-2001, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

just an update on the vibration situation on my car:

first they tell me it's my tires, and i said no way because there's no vibrations when the engine isn't rolling and in neutral so it can't be the tires. i had my track tires on the car since i just took the car in after a track event, my tires were just plain shot and so they told me it'd be a good idea to put a set of fresh tires on just to there would be no warranty disputes. i needed new tires for the 18" street wheels so i just thought might as well.

after taking a ride with the service guy he said there was definitely something wrong. i told him "why do you think i keep dropping my car off here!" i left it 2 days before thanksgiving so i finally got a response today telling me that they were replacing both my axles. he said there was excessive play in the joints causing a vibration and it may have been the result of failed axle bearings. they're not sure if changing the axles will fix the vibration but they're trying it anyways.

for everyone else. it seems like the problems can be linked to something wrong with the axle bearings.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:53 PM

What is the dealership and your service tech and their phone number. I am going to have the bearings and hopefully axles replaced from what you are saying...Thanks.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johev
[B]What is the dealership and your service tech and their phone number.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:11 PM

Thanks alot, how many miles are on your car and is it a '00?
Old 11-28-2001, 12:09 AM
Former Sponsor

ok... here's the verdict, i got the car back today and they replaced both rear axles because of excessive play in the inner cv joints. causes unknown but maybe something to do with axle bearings. it was all under warranty and my car feels brand new, i don't even remember it feeling this smooth so i'm not even gonna ask any more questions.

i told Tony at Weseloh Honda he might be getting some calls and he says he expected would so try not to get him in trouble and go easy on him.

i have roughly 25,000 miles and it's a '00, one of the earlier ones.