S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

That 'tick' sound on acceleration - discovered source!

Old 10-14-2001, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive got the same issue....it sounds like a tick/click (say these words 10 times very fast)

it only occurs during acceleration on 1st gear....sometimes in 2nd.....sound coming from the rear

im going to change my diff fluid anyways next wknd so see if anything changes

i swear this cars got so many f*#kn problems!!!
Old 10-14-2001, 03:13 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally posted by 1badride
Alright!

So my dealer has figured out what the "tick" sound was.

Explanation:
- "tick" sound, single "click" or "tick" sound heard from driver's side rear on accelerating forward or reverse from a full stop.

Source:
- damaged wheel bearing on driver's side, rear wheel.

History:
- started out as a "tick" sound, with 28,000km on the car.
- brought to dealer, solution was to tighten axle nut.
- "tick" sound was gone for at least 3 weeks.
- "tick" sound came back, very intermittent.
- could not reproduce sound on demand.
- at 37,000km sound is much more pronounced, and can be reproduced on demand.
- at 37,600km sound is quite loud, with vibration from rear on acceleration in any gear.
- dealer has ordered replacement bearing.

This may be a one-off problem, but for those who have this "tick" sound problem, get it checked out before you get stuck waiting for a bearing to get shipped to your dealership.

Peace.
I have a tick tick sound. Reproduced on demand all the time! Have not had the axles tightened. I have been waiting for others to try it out on their car. I have that vibration on acceleration but is mostly noticeable on 2 and 3 gears. Is that the same for you?

How did the dealer figure out that it was the bearing? Can you give me their name and # as well as the tech there your working with so when I go to Honda I can say I think this is the problem call Joe Bob he resolved a very similar problem.
Old 10-14-2001, 03:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Da Hapa
[B]

OUCH!
Old 11-11-2001, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pinky,

i have the same problem with the vibration more prominent at 2nd or 3rd gear. it seems to happen at around 70mph and a little less at 30mph.

the vibration occurs very hard when i floor it at 70mph no matter what gear i'm in or rpm my engine is at. but it the most on 3rd gear. i know it's not the tires or rims because i changed the tires and the rims and got them rebalance many times but there are no changes on how the vibration happens. so i narrowed it down to something that has to be wrong between the engine and the rear tires.

pinky, did you ever find out what was wrong?

anyone else have this problem? i also had the tick but now this problem has been getting worse ever since the tick!

HELP!!!
Old 11-12-2001, 12:55 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, I got it too; hoping whatever it is will just hurry up and break so I can replace it! No audible noise in my case, just the feeling of a tick or a click under hard accel in 1st thru 4th. Feels like the frequency is directly correlated to wheel rpm and has done it with three different diffs so I know it's not that. Seems to be getting worse in the past month (hopefully ).
I think Greg Stevens had a similar problem and the dealer was going to replace axles or something. Never heard back if his problem got resolved.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:40 AM

any more info on this??? I have the same thing going on...no tick on accelertion, just more of a vibration..
Old 11-12-2001, 07:18 AM

If the drive shaft is out of balance it will cause the whole car to vibrate.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:20 AM

I think what most of us are having is a slighter vibration at certain RPM's when we are pressing on the throttle..I don't know that the driveshaft out of balance would cause that although it might..
Old 11-12-2001, 09:20 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine is the feel of a big rubber mallet hitting the frame of the car at a frequency of about 5 to 10 times a second and only under hard acceleration. As far as an out of balance drive line component, I would expect to feel a general imbalance independent of load (although it may feel different depending on the load condition).
Old 11-12-2001, 09:22 AM

man! that sounds nasty!!