S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

"Thud" sound from rear....

Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bump.

Have been troubleshooting this for a while now, and can't seem to find the problem....

Considering the rears are on the lower perch and the Tein springs are a shorter spring than OEM... does anyone think that the spring can be moving around when the rebound is happening, or does that just sound stupid?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How stiff do you have the Konis set? If they're soft enough, sharp bumps might be reloading everything too quickly.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by rev_2_9k,Jun 1 2009, 07:41 PM
How stiff do you have the Konis set? If they're soft enough, sharp bumps might be reloading everything too quickly.
I have them at just about full stiff at all corners. Compression(which is not adjustable on yellows) is softer than the OEM shocks, think that'd have anything to do with more suspension noise?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bear with me on this - I had the same issue on my ford focus after a Koni yellow rear install. The issue turned out to be the rubber insulator on the strut top mounting which needed replaced (the whole strut top mount).

Also, check the 2 bolts up top for the rear strut and the strut rod nut - I have heard impacting that nut on can cause issues. Hope this helps!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my guess is bottoming out - have you run a zip tie to indicate travel or alternatively looked at the springs to see if they're coilbinding? Moreover, running rebound higher than needed will result in packing down over a series of bumps leaving the vehicle essentially coilbound. Unless running some unGodly springrate, may want to back off per the KONI recommended adjustment procedures. Don't suspect TEIN's rate rates going much beyond midfirm if even that. Doubt it's the spring seating as that is typically a distinctly metalic sound.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by kchandra,Jun 3 2009, 09:36 AM
Bear with me on this - I had the same issue on my ford focus after a Koni yellow rear install. The issue turned out to be the rubber insulator on the strut top mounting which needed replaced (the whole strut top mount).

Also, check the 2 bolts up top for the rear strut and the strut rod nut - I have heard impacting that nut on can cause issues. Hope this helps!
I'll definitely take a look at that.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by DER MotorSports,Jun 3 2009, 04:01 PM
my guess is bottoming out - have you run a zip tie to indicate travel or alternatively looked at the springs to see if they're coilbinding? Moreover, running rebound higher than needed will result in packing down over a series of bumps leaving the vehicle essentially coilbound. Unless running some unGodly springrate, may want to back off per the KONI recommended adjustment procedures. Don't suspect TEIN's rate rates going much beyond midfirm if even that. Doubt it's the spring seating as that is typically a distinctly metalic sound.
Thanks for the info!! As for coil binding... would this just be the springs overlapping eachother? I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for. I'll also soften the rebound up a bit and see what happens.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:29 PM

Well, I turned all 4 struts down, about half way between soft and firm. Besides the car being softer, I noticed this 'thud' sound from the right rear, to be a tad bit louder. It could just be me thinking that though.

Also, it seems to be more of a solid faint 'knock'. I might take a look at the spring seat seals back there.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i installed konis and espelirs around the same time i swapped my cv axels. I get a weird popping thunk sound when the weight distribution of the car shifts. i think my issue is with the drive shaft though. I inspected everything and the were no rb marks and everything was tight
Old 06-04-2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by berlina2ks2k,Jun 4 2009, 11:01 PM
i installed konis and espelirs around the same time i swapped my cv axels. I get a weird popping thunk sound when the weight distribution of the car shifts. i think my issue is with the drive shaft though. I inspected everything and the were no rb marks and everything was tight
Hmmm, interesting. Maybe it is from your axles, or maybe you've got the same thing I do? In the next week or so, I'm gonna try to get under there and double check the installation.

Quick Reply: "Thud" sound from rear....