S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

"Thud" sound from rear....

Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default "Thud" sound from rear....

Installed some Koni yellows this past Saturday, and ever since the install, I noticed a faint/low thud from the rear right corner. Everything was installed correctly. All nuts and bolts torqued with the suspension preloaded. I even double checked some things tonight and can't seem to find what it might be.

The sound only happens on certain bumps, and it's not very consistent.

Any ideas?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it a thud or is it a metallic thud/scrape/pop?

I had this - it was my dust boot that I bent during install. It took me 4 times to figure out what was wrong: taking it off/putting it on, etc etc.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,May 19 2009, 06:30 AM
is it a thud or is it a metallic thud/scrape/pop?

I had this - it was my dust boot that I bent during install. It took me 4 times to figure out what was wrong: taking it off/putting it on, etc etc.
It's more of a hallow thud, possibly metallic. I will definitely take a look at the dust cover though. How was yours bent?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 AM

When you were under the car were there any marks anywhere that might help you locate the issue? Are the springs properly seated? When you hear the noise have you just gone over a hell of a bump? or is it a random noise?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nickamsweet,May 19 2009, 10:14 AM
When you were under the car were there any marks anywhere that might help you locate the issue? Are the springs properly seated? When you hear the noise have you just gone over a hell of a bump? or is it a random noise?
Yeah, I pretty much looked at everything. There seems to be no signs of any parts rubbing on anything. It usually happens on sharper bumps(usually potholes).
Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Did you disconnect the rear swabar during the install, by any chance? If so, make sure the bolts connecting the bar to the endlinks are properly tightened. The nut in the endlink can spin, I had to grab it with a pair of skinny vice grips to tighten the bolt fully. When that was loose, I heard a little "thunk" going over bumps.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbrig,May 19 2009, 12:21 PM
Did you disconnect the rear swabar during the install, by any chance? If so, make sure the bolts connecting the bar to the endlinks are properly tightened. The nut in the endlink can spin, I had to grab it with a pair of skinny vice grips to tighten the bolt fully. When that was loose, I heard a little "thunk" going over bumps.
Hmm, I didn't take the swaybar out, but I can check on it.

I'm actually starting to think it might be something inside the car, like a panel or something. I dunno.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you load the spring when you torqued all the bolts down?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,May 19 2009, 05:48 PM
Did you load the spring when you torqued all the bolts down?
Yep
Old 05-19-2009, 03:28 PM

The dust boot was dented only on the inside - I had to take off the rubber part and only then ddi I see that it was dented. I unbent it and it went away!

Apparently, during install I dropped it on something or hit it on something (when I was forcing the lower A-arms down, most likely). it looks perfect from the outside - I took the entire assembly out 3-4 times WITH more guys than just me - took the assembly apart a few times as well...til I finally just started taking everything apart - bushing, top hat, bushing, washer, dust boot, dust cover....and then I saw that it was bent -_-.

For me, it was a quiet 'thud/scrape' at first that got louder - I guess it got really bent after I hit a mean pothole and that caused it to scrape more.

Quick Reply: "Thud" sound from rear....