S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

throttle "sticking" when engine hits VTEC

Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry throttle "sticking" when engine hits VTEC

i have a friend back home with a MY01 s with 100,xxx miles. he told me the other day that whenever he drives his car and brings the rpms high enough to hit VTEC the engine automatically goes to WOT and bounces off the rev limiter until he shuts the car completely off. he then has to let the engine completely cool down before he can re-start the car or it will do the same thing as soon as it starts.

i went home this past weekend and drove his car to try to diagnose the problem. i warmed the car completely, then drove it normal for about 10 or 15 miles. i then put it in 3rd gear and nailed it and let the rpms climb. just as he said, as soon as i could feel/hear VTEC kick in, the car red-lined and bounced off the rev limiter a couple times and i shut the car off and coasted into a gas station.

i let the car cool off and started to drive back to his house. on the way the car warmed up and i thought i'd try to just roll into the throttle gradually to see what that would do. to my surprise, the car didn't "tach out". on the contrary, at around 6300 rpms (normal VTEC engagement) the car hesitated and kind of shuddered, then continued to climb very slowly in rpms until i let off around 7500 rpms. i never heard or felt the VTEC kick in.

has anyone ever heard of the VTEC solenoid going bad? is that even possible? and if so, where could he order a new (or good for that matter) one without going to Honda and having his wallet molested? he called our local Honda dealer and they told him a new VTEC solenoid was gonna run him nearly $300 plus labor.

any help or input will be greatly appreciated...

thanks,
eric
Old 02-15-2010, 03:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure you're not getting this mixed up with your Toyota?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:01 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like dead clutch?

Hit VTEC and slippage?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What happens when you let off the throttle? Do the revs come down?

Did you check the throttle cable under the hood?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't believe VTEC engages if you are not moving...

But the only thing that would keep the throttle open would be the TB itself of the cruise module.

The car uses a cable driven butterfly, so either the spring is broken tired or is getting caught on something. I had a similar issue with my Mustang a ways back where if you matted it the throttle got hung on... Boiled down to a clamp and the butterfly actuator getting caught on it every once in awhile until I figured it out and fixed it...

I would look there and then disconnect the cruise module to see if it still does it.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

If he takes his foot off teh gas and the pedal isn't mechanically held down and the rpms are bouncing off the limiter doesn't that sound like a bad TPS?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to have air to have that happen. If the TPS was bad it won't hold the throttle open but supply tons of fuel all the time. Motor revs likely would not climb....

Plus why only at VTEC... What if you don't floor it just tip in slow and let the VTEC kick in then let off does it keep climbing?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd have guessed a sticking throttle body...
Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 AM

if i roll into the throttle there is no VTEC at all, just alot of hesitation at the VTEC crossover point. the pedal isnt sticking to the floor after it goes to WOT on its own. after it sticks open and u let off, it will stay on the rev limiter all day unless u shut the car off and let it cool completely. and it does the same thing in neutral.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 AM

hmm ask toyota for advice, im sure they'll able to to repair it too

Quick Reply: throttle "sticking" when engine hits VTEC