S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Throttle body won't come off manifold

Old 11-11-2020, 06:21 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

One "before" image of rear of the throttle body. And then a couple from after cleaning it.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle body won't come off manifold-backside_before.jpg   Throttle body won't come off manifold-after1.jpg   Throttle body won't come off manifold-after2.jpg  
Old 11-11-2020, 06:39 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Dang! That was seriously dirty. Never seen one that bad.

Looks good now though! Good job. It'll be fine. No need for further cleaning.

Think how much cleaner it is now. But I get how you want it perfect in order to sleep at night. Just don't let that desire tip into making things worse.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Dang! That was seriously dirty. Never seen one that bad.

Looks good now though! Good job. It'll be fine. No need for further cleaning.

Think how much cleaner it is now. But I get how you want it perfect in order to sleep at night. Just don't let that desire tip into making things worse.

Really? Yikes. The car has only 82k KM on it. Perhaps I'm the first to have ever cleaned it properly.

I will leave well enough alone now. Thanks for the reassuring reply.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:48 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Maybe the PO had a K&N filter or similar oiled filter?

I prefer the OEM filter unless you really think 1-2HP is worth all that junk

Old 11-14-2020, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Maybe the PO had a K&N filter or similar oiled filter?

I prefer the OEM filter unless you really think 1-2HP is worth all that junk
It has an AEM cold air intake from PO. I like it, as intake sounds great... especially when VTEC kicks in

But I have wondered about the fact that it's got an oiled filter. I don't love that... but I suppose I could put any filter on the end of it.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:29 AM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

The precleaning pictures look pretty normal actually. That isn't intake dirt on there, that is just oily crankcase vapours from the exhaust gas recirc system, you get air flow from the manifold travelling back and into the rear of the throttle plate when it is closed, and the manifold is always ingesting crankcase vapours. They have that dark oily deposit look to them, similar to what you see in the ports and other manifold areas.

I didn't read the latter part of your thread in time to provide advice on cleaning. But I would have warned you against cleaning it too forcefully. Honda throttle plates are not machined to be totally tight, so they add a sealing paint/coating on the backside of the throttle plate to help it seal to the bore. You can see the painted coating on the throttle plate and it will have a corresponding layer around the bore, a greyish sealing coating which they basically put on with a paintbrush. If you scrub away the painted coating on the throttle bore your throttle body will idle higher or it will throw your idle out of adjustment as you will get more air leakage around the throttle plate. You don't see it on aftermarket throttle bodies as their plates are machined tighter, Honda throttle plates are not machined that tight so they use a sealing coating on the back side of the plate and bore when it is in the closed position.

You will see daylight around the throttle plate with the coating removed. If that happens to you after getting it cleaned up do an idle relearn procedure and see if that helps.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The precleaning pictures look pretty normal actually. That isn't intake dirt on there, that is just oily crankcase vapours from the exhaust gas recirc system, you get air flow from the manifold travelling back and into the rear of the throttle plate when it is closed, and the manifold is always ingesting crankcase vapours. They have that dark oily deposit look to them, similar to what you see in the ports and other manifold areas.

I didn't read the latter part of your thread in time to provide advice on cleaning. But I would have warned you against cleaning it too forcefully. Honda throttle plates are not machined to be totally tight, so they add a sealing paint/coating on the backside of the throttle plate to help it seal to the bore. You can see the painted coating on the throttle plate and it will have a corresponding layer around the bore, a greyish sealing coating which they basically put on with a paintbrush. If you scrub away the painted coating on the throttle bore your throttle body will idle higher or it will throw your idle out of adjustment as you will get more air leakage around the throttle plate. You don't see it on aftermarket throttle bodies as their plates are machined tighter, Honda throttle plates are not machined that tight so they use a sealing coating on the back side of the plate and bore when it is in the closed position.

You will see daylight around the throttle plate with the coating removed. If that happens to you after getting it cleaned up do an idle relearn procedure and see if that helps.
Thanks for the info.

Yes, there is a sliver or 2 of daylight in a couple areas around the plate. Hopefully I didn't scrub any of the coating away myself when cleaning... but all I used was carb cleaner and a toothbrush + cloth.

Maybe it would have been better to leave it alone, as the gunk on there previously was probably sealing it up nicely, as someone mentioned in this thread.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:12 PM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

^ yeah it isn't the end of the world either way. While the black oil gunk looks bad it isn't intake dirt which one might think is abrasive, just oily carbon gunk. Good to clean gently. If the idle starts acting up when you get it running again you can adjust the idle stop screw a tad to get the throttle plate to close tighter, very small increments so the plate doesn't start sticking but enough to have it tight enough to regulate idle air.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:33 PM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Good god, man.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
^ yeah it isn't the end of the world either way. While the black oil gunk looks bad it isn't intake dirt which one might think is abrasive, just oily carbon gunk. Good to clean gently. If the idle starts acting up when you get it running again you can adjust the idle stop screw a tad to get the throttle plate to close tighter, very small increments so the plate doesn't start sticking but it tight enough to keep regulate idle air.
Good to know. I was starting to think I should look into how to reapply that painted on sealant. But it sounds like it doesn't last forever anyway and not critical.

Quick Reply: Throttle body won't come off manifold