S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Throbbing low pitched squeek from right front

Old 03-23-2009, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Throbbing low pitched squeek from right front

Recently my right front wheel/brake when pressing the brake started making a throbbing low pitched squeel or whistle kinda of sound when braking. Does not sound like the regular brake squeek or antyhing. Any ideas? I guess it seems to make the sound in accordance with the ABS braking the car but only that side and there is pad left so I don't think it is a wear indicator. Not as high pitched as that either.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
mlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say throbbing do you mean you can "feel" it in the steering wheel? Or does it just "sound" like when the ABS comes on?

Have you pulled the wheel off and the caliper and taken a look at the pads? Could be a cracked pad or a warped rotor. When were the brakes worked on last?

Kevin
Old 03-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Former Sponsor

I can't feel it I don't think. I just feel the regular pulsing brake from the abs. I have not pulled them off but looked a the pad when the wheel was off and had some meat left. I don't know when the brakes have had any work done to them. Non since I have owned the car in October of '07.

Might be a coincident but I first noticed the sound the same as my car got momentarily stuck on an auto wash pulley thing. Got stuck at the end since I had just lowered my car and something was underneath banging around trying to get through for a little bit till I turned the car on and drove it off. Don't think that would have done anything as it was on the driver side of the car and the brake noise is coming from the passenger side but you never know I guess.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
mlc

Are you saying that under normal conditions, when you apply the brakes, you can feel the ABS engaging?

And I know you are in upstate (grandparents lived in Walden) and the weather kind of sucks. BUT dont put an S through a carwash

Kevin
Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

I think so. It always kinda pulsates when braking even slowly. Is that from a warped rotor? Always kinda just thought that was abs or something hahah. Now that I am thinking about it seems like that would be a rotor issue no?
Yeah during the winter I don't have too much options. Daily drive it so need to get that salt off. I won't be able to anymore though since I lowered the car with Eibach springs I will scrape on the bottom now. Probably moving to FL in the next month so won't matter anymore.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

I feel like an idiot haha. Probably why my braking has always felt pretty weak. I test drove an '03 before I got my '01 and the braking felt awesome. This car has never felt like it has had good braking really. I a probbaly going to have to pick up 4 new rotors and brand new oem pads. Get some new fluid and should feel awesome I bet. I would think that sound would be gone also as it seems to accompany the pulse I am feeling.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 PM
mlc

How many miles have you put on the car since Oct '07?

Does it feel like or sound like a "waah-waah-waah".

If the brakes haven't been done since Oct '07 (and you don't know how long before that) it might be time.

It is rare that the ABS as any issues.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah kinda like a Waah waah sound. My ABS light IS on now but that is due to the body shop that worked on my car. So if it is on that should mean it is not working and not causing this issue. The bent the abs sensor I think on the driver side rear brake. Need to get that fixed.
I have put about 35k miles since I got it.
I can definitely feel the pulse in the pedal. I have always felt this since I got it so probably has been bad since day 1 for me.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
mlc

Head over to OCC and do a brake job . 35K plus who knows how much more. I would say you need a brake job. Do you want to DIY? It is much cheaper but if that isn't your thing then have a good shop do it.

Kevin
Old 03-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Yeah I will just do it myself for sure. Have replaced pads once before but I am sure it is not difficult to do at all. Will save lots of money that way as well. hopefully I can finally have a nice braking car haha. Gotta get my ABS fixed also though! Damn body shop from hell I am dealing with. Scared to take my car back there to fix it fearing they might brake something else this time.

Quick Reply: Throbbing low pitched squeek from right front