S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Threw a rod after Honda dealer re-built top end

Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by franky
There should be a warrenty on your engine rebuild. Tell them they were the last person to do work on your car.
They didn't rebuild the entire engine. So no, there is no warranty on the bottom end. Unless you can prove that the tech dropped something into the bottom end that caused the issue (slim chance).

I think the OP bought a car that had a bad engine.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course this thread is all wild speculation until the block is torn down and the root cause is identified. My advice is to have another ase certified shop do the teardown and document it well with pictures and narration. If they find the dealer was negligent then you will have a case with the solid evidence.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Signalzero
I had it towed to Autoway Honda and they advised it spun the timing chain from over revving the engine. The odd thing is I drove home in 6th gear at normal highway speeds and didn't even shift the engine.
THIS is the most pathetic diagnosis I have ever heard. There is no such thing!!!!

You are dealing with incompetence at its finest. They built the top end, and did not address the lower end. You left with low oil pressure because of it, and locked it up.

You need a lawyer that used to be a mechanic.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92gli
Originally Posted by franky' timestamp='1367352911' post='22510480
There should be a warrenty on your engine rebuild. Tell them they were the last person to do work on your car.
They didn't rebuild the entire engine. So no, there is no warranty on the bottom end. Unless you can prove that the tech dropped something into the bottom end that caused the issue (slim chance).

I think the OP bought a car that had a bad engine.
They didn't properly diagnose the problem, the op paid out of pocket to have the vehicle fixed, in the end the vehicle is not fixed and is not drivable, who do you think should be responsible??? The dealership that misdiagnosed the problem.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Engage an independent automotive engineer to inspect the internals of the engine. These guys provide a report of what they find and can be used to provide expert advice in any legal proceedings. Whenever I've engaged on of these guys the dealer suddenly stops the BS and becomes much more cooperative as they know you are collecting evidence to use in legal action. Any BS counts against them.

The diagnosis of a spun timing chain is comic and clearly illustrates the dealer made an incorrect diagnosis in the first place. Something was left our or place causing low oil pressure, or there was bearing damage to the bottom end that they didn't see. If there was a problem with the timing chain they should have had the sump/front cover off to change the chain/guides/sprockets. While the sump was off they could have looked for bearing material, and removed rod caps to inspect bearings/journals.

My psychic diagnosis, is they took a rod cap off to inspect bearings while the sump was off and forgot to tighten it up.

The car was a new purchase and there may have been existing damage. The dealer needs to make a thorough diagnosis before starting expensive repairs.

At the very least the dealer should discount the new motor replacement by the amount already paid.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 PM

Cam wheel bolt can cause oil pressure loss, and damage the top and bottom end. If they misdiagnosed it, then they are responsible, if they were the last once to work on it, they are responsible. Its very simple.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by apme123
If they misdiagnosed it, then they are responsible, if they were the last once to work on it, they are responsible. Its very simple.
THAT'S WHAT I SAY!!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally know alot of the techs. at that dealership. I have my car worked on,by them and have been going to them for years. I drive a 2004 s2k myself and fully trust them. for starters the veh. came in running rough. timing chain was stretched,due to lack of engine oil. The engine oil lubricates the chain. So your engine block has been ran w/low oil. No telling what the previous owner did to that motor before you. from the looks of it low oil caused rod bearing to fail, thats why its sticking out of the block.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by SDOOKIE
I personally know alot of the techs. at that dealership. I have my car worked on,by them and have been going to them for years. I drive a 2004 s2k myself and fully trust them. for starters the veh. came in running rough. timing chain was stretched,due to lack of engine oil. The engine oil lubricates the chain. So your engine block has been ran w/low oil. No telling what the previous owner did to that motor before you. from the looks of it low oil caused rod bearing to fail, thats why its sticking out of the block.
timing chain stretched due to low oil, your an idiot who doesn't know how an engine works. I have never seen an s2000 stretched chain due to low oil. maybe an incorrectly installed tct which makes the chain whine and then breaks it. you sound like one of the techs who worked on his car, who doesn't know anything. This car will spin a rod bearing when run low on oil before anything.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM

SDookie, you joined today, you have only one post. It sounds to me like you work for that dealership and came here to defend them. Please at least do your homework when it comes to this car and this forum. Most of the posters here know much more about this car then the so called techs, parts changers that work at this dealership. I wouldn't take my honda lawn mower to the honda dealership for the fear of them f@#king it up.

Quick Reply: Threw a rod after Honda dealer re-built top end