S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thoughts on Synthetic Lubricants???

Old 11-09-2001, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of oil................

What weight oil comes in the S2000 from the manufacturer? Good to know if/when I need to top it off during break-in.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:12 PM

Good question. But, again, I used the Honda oil (10w30) just to be safe. I figured if anything happened...what could they say?
Old 11-09-2001, 08:28 PM

its a very bad idea to lengthen oil change interval just because synthetic oil is used. i dont have my s2k yet, but i have ownd one honda and two acura cars and in all three car manuals, honda states very explicitly that using synthetic is not recommended and oil change interval should never be lengthened. my concerned is if synthetics are proven to work for honda engines, wouldnt they recommend it to promote longevity and thus reputation of honda engines? just a thought.

a few years back, consumer report did a good study comparing oil change intervals, synthetic oils, and slick 50. they used new york city cabs as their subjects. groups were randomised to test engine wear between standard (3000 mi) and prolonged(7500) oil change intervals. the difference between mobil one and conventional oil was also tested. the bottom line is after about 50,000mi of driving in new york city, there is practically no difference between changing oil at 3000mi interval and 7500mi interval. there is als ono difference if you use mobil one, or add slick 50. the conclusion is use conventional oil and change every 7500 mi. they did made a commend that if you live in cold areas, using synthetic may help a little because its more fluid at low temperature ant thus better lubrication during startups.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:55 PM
Ray

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s22k
[B]its a very bad idea to lengthen oil change interval just because synthetic oil is used.
Old 11-10-2001, 03:22 AM

Use Mobil one (after the engine breaks in) and genuine Honda filters. I bring my own Mobil 1 to the dealership where my mechanic changes it. He gives me the thumbs up on using it even though the dealership does not sell it. It is important to have the crush washer (on drain plug) changed each time. Honda filters are about as good as they get and if they fail you are covered under warranty.

While most engines will last a couple hundred thousand miles using conventional oils that does not mean they won't have significant wear or they will perform like new. Using Mobil one will keep it like new longer.

Most wear on (street) engines occurs during cold starts prior to oil pressure building up. Mobil one flows much better at cold temps and oil pressure is almost immediate. Anyone with an oil pressure gauge can confirm this.

Mobil one will also flow at much higher temps without breaking down. This will come into play if you ever have a cooling system failure at highway speeds on a hot day. It can save your engine. I know it happened to me on another car I had when I lost a fanbelt that drives the water pump.

On my GMC Jimmy it gives me 2 MPG improvement consistently.

Mobil one was first used in racing by the Williams F1 team and they kept it top secret for quite some time because it gave a significant HP increase. Conventional oils have improved since then but I would bet that you would get less friction loss using it so it is saving you some HP.

Last but not least it gives you some wiggle room on your oil change frequency. I don't get too excited if I don't have it changed by 3000 miles.

There is a reason that cars like the Corvette and other performance cars come filled with it from the factory.

You own a car with the most advanced, highest output, highest reving engine in the world, why put anything but the best oil in it?
Old 11-10-2001, 06:37 AM

[B]its a very bad idea to lengthen oil change interval just because synthetic oil is used.
Old 11-10-2001, 07:26 AM

Mobil 1 and Honda Oil Filters. Makes me feel better anyway. I can't believe anyone would argue that the extra money for the oil is a factor. I buy Mobil 1 at Kmart when it goes on sale and pay $3.49-$3.99 a quart. So if I'm wasting money, there are more productive places to cut back (Starbucks, maybe, which costs more and doesn't lubricate anything). If the object were saving money, think what could you save on car insurance with an Impala instead of the S2000?
My road car is a Mercedes diesel that is 18 years old. Runs like new and the valve train is as clean as you can imagine. Mobil Delvac 1 (the diesel version) has been a great investment for that car (as well as Mobil Syn's in other fine equipment I have driven).
Also, I converted the Honda to Mobil 1 after 1000 miles. I've read all the advice against that and don't buy it. A teaspoon or less of some additive vs. Mobil 1? I'll take the synthetic.
I plan to be driving the S2000 after 18 years, too!
Old 11-10-2001, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got about 40,000 track miles on a '90 CRX-Si, inside the engine is completely from the factory stock and I have always shifted at 7,000 RPM, and my last compression test was just wonderful, if I remember the pressure in all 4 cylinders were within 2 pounds of each other!

I have run 10W-30 Synthetic and love the stuff. I always use Honda filters because I believe they are the best. I get about 4,000 to 4,5000 miles on the car a year so I do one oil change every fall and I change oil filters because of the track events twice during the summer. I went with synthetic only because at the very hot temps the car is subjected to on the track I felt the synthetic would endure the abuse better.

I do not know about the S2000 yet (due in April) but the oil filter is mounted high enough on the back of the CRX-Si engine that I can change filters with out spilling more than just a little without changing the engine oil, so changing filters during the life span of the oil is easy.

Thanks for the ideas about using Honda oil on the S2000, I had not thought of that for the first 2 or 3 oil changes but I'm thinking that is a good idea just in case the unthinkable should happen.
Old 11-10-2001, 02:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike in Atlanta
[B]

So you change the filter once in between oil changes?
Old 11-10-2001, 02:26 PM

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Synthetic Lubricants???