S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thoughts on Oil for the S2000

Old 03-30-2001, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are making an assumption that I am taking information from mobile's website and spitting it back out. If that's the case, it'd be incorrect. Regardless, the fact remains that synthetic oil is "better" than oil refined from dead animals. Just because you might not be able to use take advantage of it dosen't mean it's not better. You made the statement that it is not better, that statement is incorrect. If yuo said, you won't benifit from it under "normal" conditions, then fine, that's a fair answer.

Let's go with your logic here... so say you are asked to build a bridge that should hold 50 tons. So you think to yourself, ok, let's build one that can hold 100 tons. So the question is would you build that same bridge everywhere? Probably not... because you might get into a situation where you need something stronger... if you drive a Ford Festiva, using mobile 1 syntheic is probably over kill. But if you drive a S2000 with a 9000 rpm redline, would you not think to get something that has been proven, not just by the maker, but independent labs, to have better protection under high stress situations? I don't know about you, but I don't want to spend another $32k because I didn't want to invest in $20 worth of additional protection every 5000 miles.

-Shing

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LATEOTT
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by shingles
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by LATEOTT
[B]

I admit, it sounds really good. If I wanted to sell you something I was making, especially at a premium price, I would do every test known to man on the stuff. Then I would select the test results that differentiated my product from the
Old 03-30-2001, 01:16 PM

Additional thoughts:

The other aspect of the why synthetic can be better is high temp situations. Ok so you don't get to use the cold temp protection... I don't, I live in houston, so let's talk about high temp... 100 degree summer weather is not uncommon. Synthetic holds up better when the motor is running hot. Sure if the cooling system is working properly you shouldn't have a problem with "regular" oil... but then, you really don't need life insurance, car insurance, home owners insurance either... but you probably have a policy.

-Shing

[Edited by shingles on 03-30-2001 at 02:19 PM]
Old 03-30-2001, 02:24 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LATEOTT
[B]Wait until 7500 miles to change the oil the first time, but check it frequently and top it off with non-synthetic 10W30 if necessary.
Old 03-30-2001, 02:28 PM

Just to add my take on it to the list... I think everyone here is on the right track. You are splitting hairs to a degree when it comes to debating between synthetics and when break in is complete and what brand to use. I do have to say though, that I recommend you do use synthetics on this motor... I'm not a big fan of conventional oils for high performance engines. That said, here's what I do (not that you have to do the same):

Oil change every 3000 miles on the dot.
Honda OEM oil filter
Mobil 1 5W30

I used conventional oil until 6000 miles. Then I switched to Mobil 1 10W30. Now I use 5W30 because it's a little thinner and you gain a bit of power.
Old 03-30-2001, 03:56 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know the answer, but think it's pretty funny that in the same breath that it's stated there is no "REAL" difference that statements are also made about waiting till break in is complete before switching to synthetics.

Make up your minds, if there's no significant difference in the oils then what's the difference when you change (before or after break-in)?

I'm not giving an opinion, just pointing out an apparent inconsistency in the logic.

With that, have at it!
Old 03-30-2001, 03:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shingles
[B]I think you are making an assumption that I am taking information from mobile's website and spitting it back out.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:04 PM
RT

Originally posted by RT
I don't know the answer, but think it's pretty funny that in the same breath that it's stated there is no "REAL" difference that statements are also made about waiting till break in is complete before switching to synthetics.

Make up your minds, if there's no significant difference in the oils then what's the difference when you change (before or after break-in)?

I'm not giving an opinion, just pointing out an apparent inconsistency in the logic.

With that, have at it!
Just in case you missed this
Old 03-30-2001, 05:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT

Just in case you missed this
Quoting yourself...almost as bad as me.

Seriously, I was writing so much I almost did miss your post...

Yeah, it's valid to point out that inconsistency. I don't argue that the oils are the same. I just don't think synthetic is better. And at least from the break-in perspective synthetic "appears" to be worse (there are stories that suggest that, but...??).

I guess the advocates would say that what are bad qualities up front (break-in) are good qualities later on. I don't know...
Old 03-30-2001, 05:36 PM
RT

definitely not an easy issue to sort through!
Old 03-30-2001, 05:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by RT
I noted in both of my posts in this thread that synthetics have an edge in friction reduction. Since break-in is controlled wear, a reduction of friction delays the break-in, reportedly slowing seating the rings. Red Line does recommend waiting until the rings are seated before using their product.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Oil for the S2000