S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thoughts on a 3rd gear grind?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on a 3rd gear grind?

First, thanks for all the info. Spent the last month or so soaking up everything I could before making the plunge.

Purchased a 2000 with 58K about two weeks ago. Love it, but am noticing one issue: when shifting into 3rd I am feeling a bit of a grind. Not bad or loud (can’t hear it, just feel it). Nothing awful (like popping out of gear). Like with most gear grind posts on here, the slower I shift, the less likely I will feel it.

So I know the general course of action is to replace transmission and possibly clutch fluid. I have service records from the first owner (3 years, 12K miles), but not the second owner (who turned out the be the first owners sister). It was obvious the previous two owners were very gentle on her, but that doesn’t mean the fluids have been changed lately (if at all). The clutch fluid looks about due, so I figure the others probably are.

The car did come with a 2 year drivetrain warranty. I am not opposed to doing a clutch, transmission and differential (while I’m down there) fluid change any my own. My only concern is that if this doesn’t fix it and I pursue the warranty route for a fix, the warranty company may question who did the work and use it as an excuse to not cover any repairs. I don’t really want to cough up the $$ for my dealer to do the fluid changes, but I know 3rd party warranty companies are looking for reasons not to cover repairs.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Are you taking about just that "bump" feel going into third? Like a one tooth grind? If so, just bring the RPMs up more. 5500 or so. The trans is designed to operate at higher speeds.

Clutch fluid and clutch rod adj are the number one cures for shifting issues. Trans fluid is a good idea, but nowhere near as effective.

For clutch fluid, change only the fluid in the res. Trust me on this. Its all you need. suck it out, clean it will paper towels till spotless, then fill it back up. And that is IT. do it ever other oil change.

Learn how to adjust the rod under the dash to zero freeplay. find my posts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Billman250:
ecobuster (02-01-2020), s2kbq (07-21-2017)
Old 01-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Another tip...adjust your shift timing. Make sure you push the clutch to the floor before you even move the shifter. do this as fast as you like and your shift will be great.

This car is not as fluid as others with half-clutch shifts, but the rewards are greater with full-clutch shifts.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
For clutch fluid, change only the fluid in the res. Trust me on this. Its all you need. suck it out, clean it will paper towels till spotless, then fill it back up. And that is IT. do it ever other oil change.
Going to give this a shot.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 PM

Thanks for all the info Billman! Found your adjustment directions.

Feels more like a grind.

Is it really not necessary to bleed the clutch? Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather not if it isn’t needed.

Will try both and see what happens.

I've been working on shift timing.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sage advice Billman.

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Thanks for all the info Billman! Found your adjustment directions.

Feels more like a grind.

Is it really not necessary to bleed the clutch? Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather not if it isn’t needed.

Will try both and see what happens.

I've been working on shift timing.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:07 AM

Definitely not necessary, and because of the difficultly of bleeding and resulting shifting problems, I do not recommend it.

Besides, with every single release of the clutch pedal, old fluid and any contaminants shoot up in to the master and settle to the bottom. You'll find black sludge in the master, but clean fluid down below at the bleeder

Trust me, no need to flush or bleed. Just change whats in the master. The more you change it, the longer it stays clean.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 AM

Thanks again Billman

Took out the slack and it was a little better this morning. I was also being very aware of my shifting, so I’m sure that helps also.

I’ll get to the clutch fluid tomorrow. Makes sense about not needing to bleed it.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Fresh fluid (yep, the old was pretty grungy) and it’s still doing it………

It seems to be more prone to grinding once things get warmed up.

What should my next step be? Transmission fluid?

Even with this problem, it is less notchy after adjusting the slack and new fluid.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Fresh fluid (yep, the old was pretty grungy) and it’s still doing it………

It seems to be more prone to grinding once things get warmed up.

What should my next step be? Transmission fluid?

Even with this problem, it is less notchy after adjusting the slack and new fluid.
When I bought my car, I had a slight hint of a "grind" or some "feeling" through the shift knob when shifting from 2 -> 3.

I did a number of things and it's all perfect now:
P.S. Billman also mentioned revving higher. 100% true, the car runs like butter the more you rev it.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 3rd gear grind?