S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thinking of changing suspension set up

Old 06-18-2006, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of changing suspension set up

I have on my car, Koni Yellow's with ground controls. I am thinking of changing to a set of coil overs with independent height adjustability. Problem I am running into is, that in order to set an even ride height on my car, my lt rear corner has a higher spring compression than the right rear at the same height, so basically I am rubbing on my rt rear and not the lt at the same height. I understand with buddy clubs, you set ride height not by changing the perch where the spring rides, but somewhere else so it does not affect the spring rate. My car has different spring rates at each corner , due to the different levels of spring compression/preload required to achieve the ride height. I think this is affecting my handling negatively. What are your guys thoughts on this?

Would going with a set of KW or Buddy Clubs solve this problem for me? Anyone upgraded from Koni's with GC to a set of the above coils?
Old 06-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm moving this to under the hood to save the flaming.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:45 PM

Anyone have any say on this?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can say is give what you've done so far you should stop screwing with your car and let a professional handle it.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:44 PM

I dont see how they would do anything different? If it comes down to that, I will just put the stock suspension back on, i dont trust anyone with my car.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well then, it sounds like you have a personal problem.

I would say that given your symptoms you may need a professional to corner balance your car but since you don't trust anybody then I guess that you are out of luck. Go back to stock bud.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by pikkashoe,Jun 18 2006, 04:44 PM
I dont see how they would do anything different? If it comes down to that, I will just put the stock suspension back on, i dont trust anyone with my car.
You bought the car complete, meaning you didnt put it together yourself?!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:34 AM

Let me repharse my last response, what I meant is that I havent been able to find any one in the miami area that deals with s2000's and particularly suspension. I have been looking for someone in the miami or south florida area to corner balance the vehicle, but still have not found anyone.

I was just asking the question whether i should upgrade to full coilovers, but obviously no one had bothered even answering the question. THe main concern i have is the uneven spring rates at each corner. Going with a system like buddy clubs which sets ride height independtly, I was trying to find out if this would be better overall system than the ground controls.

Your guys are tough in here!!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only speculate as to whether or not your overall handling will be better with the BC's as opposed to your current setup. I would imagine that these companies would dyno their springs and shocks prior to distribution but I guess not? Chassis tweak can also be a factor.

Upgrading to full coilovers is your decision to make. I can advise you that the upgrade does involve more work but the rewards outweigh the setbacks IMO.

I don't know what your intentions are for your car but if they involve any sort of on track racing, I would recommend a solid set of coilovers from a reputable company. I chose KW and I am very pleased with my purchase.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:41 AM

I also looked at the KW variant 3. Do these have separate adjustment for ride height, I could not find any info while doing a quick search. KW is alot better than buddy club in terms of refinement and quality, so I might just go with these. Thanks for your help, i truly appreciate it.

I initially thought going with koni who is a reputable shock manufacturer would be better than the lower lines of some coil over manufacturers (i.e. megan, tein, and hr). Now I am starting to think I was better off with just going with Buddy Clubs or nicer, but I heard so many problems of buddy clubs blowing shocks or rear's not being able to mount with out major modification.

Quick Reply: Thinking of changing suspension set up