S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thinking of Buying The Comptech SC!

Old 09-03-2004, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking of Buying The Comptech SC!

For al of you Guys that are running Comptech SC...

When the SC is finally installed is there any Problems with the Car? Ya know not Running right?

My Friend who is a Honda Mechanic he told me to get the SC without the Aftercooler upgrade...

Because we can fit a INTERCOOLER and a Blow Off valve resuliting in more HP Gains.......

Thanks i will Get the SC Before this Year so Help Me Out Hommies.......
Old 09-03-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you can run both an intercooler AND an after cooler, cant you?
Old 09-03-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Vortech but I've been PM'd a few times from Comptech guys who were having running issues. The only key point I wish to make is that with the Comptech kit, the wiring connections seem to be very important. If you plan on using the crimp connectors that they supply, you must be sure to multiple crimp each one to ensure a solid connection OR, as Comptech now recommends all owners to do - solder all your connections. Failing to do so results in intermittent rough idle and rough running.

As for not getting the aftercooler, why not? It's designed for the car. Why put on a different one? The stock setup has some sort of relief valve anyway. Putting on an intercooler will make your car run safer, NOT more powerful. Unless you put on a smaller blower pulley to increase boost, adding an intercooler will cause the system boost level to DECREASE, resulting in LESS power. Are you sure your friend really knows what he's doing? A Honda mechanic does not necessarily make him a good mechanic nor does it necessarily make him a good S2000 mechanic.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way is a front mount intercooler going to be more efficient than the aftercooler. Just so you know, the BOV can be added directly to the AC, but it does very little for your gains.

I agree with xviper. You need a new mechanic.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 3 2004, 10:55 AM
I have a Vortech but I've been PM'd a few times from Comptech guys who were having running issues. The only key point I wish to make is that with the Comptech kit, the wiring connections seem to be very important. If you plan on using the crimp connectors that they supply, you must be sure to multiple crimp each one to ensure a solid connection OR, as Comptech now recommends all owners to do - solder all your connections. Failing to do so results in intermittent rough idle and rough running.

As for not getting the aftercooler, why not? It's designed for the car. Why put on a different one? The stock setup has some sort of relief valve anyway. Putting on an intercooler will make your car run safer, NOT more powerful. Unless you put on a smaller blower pulley to increase boost, adding an intercooler will cause the system boost level to DECREASE, resulting in LESS power. Are you sure your friend really knows what he's doing? A Honda mechanic does not necessarily make him a good mechanic nor does it necessarily make him a good S2000 mechanic.
Ahhhhhh my bad!

He told me is Safer with a Front Mount Intercooler.....

So i'm going that way!

but if i install the Front Mount Intercooler will the Car be Running right with no problems?
Old 09-03-2004, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have a pic of a front mount intercooler....does it look like a turbo intercooler?!?! got me all confused.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Of course it's safer with a front mount. Because the plumbing is so long boost comes on more gradually so the FPR has more time to respond. It'll be 'safer' and 'slower'.

Sounds to me like you buddy has read too many magazines and doesn't have all that much experience.

The aftercooler is beneficial from a safety point of view because it reduces charge temp. Charge temp is not a major problem as boost pressure isn't particularly high but it is still better to run with it.

Here's the facts:
In general a air-air front mount is more efficient and lighter then an air water.
But in the specific case of the S2000 and low boost supercharging not only is the air-water thermally more than efficient enough, but as it has a very direct air path it is much more efficient pressure wise.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

With regards to wiring both the Vortech and Comptech kits use the same technology and connections to hide boost from the ECU. They use a device (Comptech: Comptech ESM; Vortech: Spilt Second VC2) with four leads (12V, 0V, MAP in, MAP out).

I can't imagine that there is any difference except possibly in the recommended method of attachment. I personally solder all my connections and would advise anyone to do the same.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:27 PM

Aus thanks for the help!

So its better to Buy it with the Aftercooler right?

Can i reach 300 HP at the Wheels??

ohhh and at how many PSI the Charger runs Stock?

Will a Header bump me up more HP
Old 09-03-2004, 10:50 PM

ohhh another question!

Can you Fit a Blow Off Valve in the Comptech Aftercooler?

Quick Reply: Thinking of Buying The Comptech SC!