S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

think i broke something in my drivetrain

Old 11-21-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts
Default think i broke something in my drivetrain

So today. i went to go pick up my other car at the paint shop. the paint shop is down a steep hill.. well i started go foward down it, realized i should i just stay up to so i started to go in reverse.. as i was pushing harder on the gas and letting out the clutch.. all of a sudden, it felt like something just gave in.

as i was reversing it started to make a CLUNK noise and it seem like it was speed dependent. i didnt go above like 5 mph.. just the faster i went backwards or fowards it got faster. I can say that it would CLUNK like every rotation on the tires or something.

The weird part, i can watch the shifter rock with the rotation.

She purrs like a kitten, she still drove, but not crunching of any sort. I dont know what a broken driveshaft feels like or broken diff, nor axles.

But what i DO know is the driveshaft, rear diff, axles all came off used low mileage s2ks. not all from the same car, but all used and low low mileage.

before today, for a couple weeks, I've noticed on the highway around 55-60 and up the car would feel like it would vibrate a little. AND when i go foward or reverse upon initial movement, it would THUNK. not the initial thunk you get when you put it in gear, no... this is when the car is first moving forward or reverse..

if i go REAL slow.. there is NO noise or movement in the shifter.. just like at 3mph and up it does.

any thoughts? the painter just said to park it in the shop for now. but i'm trying to rack my brain as to what it could be.. even the bearings and hubs are brand new.

Practically everything from the transmission back is replaced. hope it's not the tranny... and i dont think it is sense it does the same exact thing going into forward and reverse.....

i'm stumped.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that sucks.

Have you looked at the tranny mounts?

The vibration at speed is pretty common in lowered S2Ks (cv buckets I think)

The clunking from the tranny and excessive shifter movement on the other hand...
Old 11-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Im inclined to guess Axle nuts? when it was "clunking" were you clutch in/clutch out-ing?
Old 11-21-2009, 08:52 PM

When CV buckets are swapped from left to right, to "fix" the vibration from being a lowered vehicle it changes the wear points.

BUT

When in reverse it will still vibrate.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try tightening axle nuts and check the driveshaft for loose bolts (esp if you put them in later).
Old 11-22-2009, 02:59 AM

it could be the diff i had a clunking noise in my previous car it was a 320 convertible it sounded like every rotation of the wheels and i didnt drive it long since the sound started and my diff died on me lost 3 teeth from the pinion check diff oil for debris

grtz
Old 11-22-2009, 03:34 AM

well the vibration feels like the the frame is vibrating... i can't pin point it.. but at first i thought it may have been the tires losing its balance but PTUNING did mine and it was fine..

The axle nuts are tight and hasnt moved since i marked them..

umm.......hmm...

The situation is, i was backing up on a steep incline... it was def working to get up that hill....and almost to the top, CLUNK... it felt like the car just gave out... yet it kept moving...

i'm assuming its my diff... but damn.. it only has like 1000 miles on it.. and its oem...

but still... before that incident... i started to notice that clunk when i first initially go foward, or reverse.. but that's it...

maybe a tooth broke on the diff..

i really dont think its the tranny.. but i could be wrong.,
Old 11-22-2009, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Nov 22 2009, 12:35 AM
Im inclined to guess Axle nuts? when it was "clunking" were you clutch in/clutch out-ing?
originally the first clunking noise was upon moving. its not the well known thump noise you get when you first put the car in gear..

but when i was backing up the hill.. it fell like the car just gave gave in...
Old 11-22-2009, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by jbird,Nov 22 2009, 01:52 AM
When CV buckets are swapped from left to right, to "fix" the vibration from being a lowered vehicle it changes the wear points.

BUT

When in reverse it will still vibrate.
axles only have about 10k on them... they are practically new off a stock car.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by CKit,Nov 22 2009, 02:14 AM
Try tightening axle nuts and check the driveshaft for loose bolts (esp if you put them in later).
how often does a driveshaft break? i mean the joints of the driveshaft?

im assuming if its not the tranny, it could be one of the joints is bounded up and angled funny which in rotation would throw off the balance... at this point it could rock the rear of the tranny back n forth causing the shifter to move as well?

or it could be my diff? i mean its practically new.

Quick Reply: think i broke something in my drivetrain