S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thermostat Install

Old 05-11-2003, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Install

To those who have installed this damn thing. What tools did you use to remove the top bolt? I have tried extensions, wobble heads, 1/4" drive wrench, 3/8" drive wrench, open-ended wrench? What else? The best I can do is get the 1/4" drive wrench with a long socket on the bolt, but it is too tight in there to turn.

Also, did you remove the plastic under tray to get at the fan switch.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Long extensions with a swivel socket, 1/4 drive.
Yes, remove the tray.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha....very Interesting....

I happened to install my thermostat and switch and cap this weekend. To get the top bolt off the thermostat housing, perform the following.....

Instead of sliding underneath the car from the front, slide horizontally, legs touching the front of your passenger side tire and head almost at the back end of your driver side front tire. Then slightly lift up your head towards the back part of your control arm and you will see the upper bolt. Then use a 3" extension and a 10MM socket you untorque the bolt. The handle of the wrench should be pointing towards you. Extend your left arm from the front of the control arm and hold on to the top part of the wrench. As you untorque the housing make sure that you have a towel handy....some coolant might drip down... This is also the case when removing the thermostat.

If this is not clear I'll try and draw it out after work.........

Remember, when installing the thermostat to place the pin inline with the small hump on the rubber seal. Also, make sure that the pin is placed on top.

For the fan switch install, I used a ~24MM(metric)/1"(Standard) long/deep socket and my torque wrench.

Beroz
Old 05-12-2003, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the info. Cdelena said to work in that direction in a previous thread. I was coming in from the hood area. Did you use a 1/4" drive or 3/8"? I can feel the bolt so I don't need to see it. I just can't get the socket to stay on. Another suggestion I saw was to use a torque wrench with long handle. I've got one from Sears that should work. Major PITA second only to the shift boot install.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:57 AM

I also had a hard time getting to the top bolt. I threw in the towel, since I knew that the Hondata gasket would go in soon anyway. With the intake manifold off, it was no problem getting to it from the top
A straight-shot 2 minute job.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reds2,
I used a 3/8", if you hold the wrench handle with your right hand and the top of the wrench with your left it should be ok.... once you have it in place, looking at the bolt actually helps.....Try it......you shouldn't give up...your almost there.........
Old 05-12-2003, 01:00 PM

Heres what i did:

- jack the driverside front, and place a jack stand somewhere for support

- you should position yourself so that your feet are pointing towards the front bumper , you should be looking up on that thermostat housing and see your 1st bolt.

- for the 1st bolt use a 10mm 3/8 deep socket. I used my craftman torque wrench cuz it has a long lever. (it should be a peice of cake)

- the 2nd bolt is a lil tricky. Use your 10mm 3/8 deep socket with 3" extention. Take your time and concentrate by snaking your hand through and move some hoses out of the way. Now that its connected. Attach your wrench and it should come off easy.

If you don't have that craftsman torque wrench. you could use this...attach it in this order: 10mm socket, 3'' extention, 3/8 universal joint, 6'' extention, and last your socket wrench.

Hope this helps
Old 05-12-2003, 07:27 PM

i'm a newbie as far as engine mods are concerned. Could you guys fill me in on what this particular mod (thermostat) does for the car? Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-12-2003, 09:23 PM

Ok. I got the thermostat replaced. The trick was taking it from behind.
Worked like a charm. Getting the new thermostat in and lined up was tricky but doable. Now for the fan switch. My 24mm socket was too short so I need a deep socket. Scraped my knuckles trying though.

Could you guys fill me in on what this particular mod (thermostat) does for the car?
Tom,

The thermostat, fan switch, and radiator cap work in conjunction to activate the car's cooling system earlier. The cap will raise the boiling point of the coolant and allow more heat to be absorbed by the coolant keeping the engine cooler. The fan switch activates the fans at a lower temperature. The thermostat also opens at a lower temperature (68 degrees) to allow the coolant to cycle sooner.

It has been debated that these mods only help on the track during high speed driving and pushing the car hard. I got a good deal so I went ahead and put them on.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:27 PM

Oh yeah. I was also baptized with a coolant shower even though I drained everything.

Quick Reply: Thermostat Install