S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thermostat

Old 01-30-2005, 03:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not saying Mr Honda got it right, H9k was.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation, but I thought the bogging was a result of ingesting hot air. I know that owners of the intake snorkels swear by them for exactly this reason. And if you are suggesting that the hot intake is the problem then your problem would be much better addressed by using the Hondata Intake Manifold Insulator rather then running your whole engine at less than optimum temperature.

Honestly not trying to be argumentative (it comes naturally), just trying to understand how much of these products is the Mugen Whore thing and how much is really justified. I mean, if anyone can benefit from these things it would be me running FI in a Sydney summer.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 2 versions to the benefits and drawbacks of every mod ever put on an S2000 on this site. What we know is that car manufacturers make compromises in their designs. Exhaust note vs noise, tight suspension vs comfort, etc. Whether or not these mods enhance or reduce performance can only be measured in a controlled environment. I believe the car runs hot so I have the snorkle, t-stat, fan switch, and heat shield. Can I be certain that these things help? No, I never did any measurements. Does it make me feel better justifying my very expensive purchases? Yes. I did some reading and I think these things help. Take it for what it's worth. :getssoffsoapbox:
Old 01-30-2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000' date='Jan 28 2005, 09:26 AM
Do these thermostats just open earlier? What is the point in that?

If it opens at 85 degrees C rather than 98 doesn't it just mean the car takes a bit longer to get from 85 to 98 and is running at a lower than optimum temperature?

Everyone seems to think that if we have a cooling system then the lower the better. This is simply not true. There is a specific temperature at which an engine is meant to run and that is 98C. Lower is no good. Higher is no good. And a thermostat won't save you if your engine starts to get too hot.
looks like a bit of editing and sitting on the fence from someone as usual

BTW I now look at my engine failure as a great turning point to create this car as I dreamt it to be. Unlike some sorry ass, keyboard warrior who can only keep asking the same question and speculated BS about my car, I am actually doing something I enjoy and learning heaps about my car.

IMHO, the mugen thermostat open around 8-12 degree C to equalise the water temperature in the engine and radiator ealier. This is to prevent a surge of cold coolant into the engine when the engine reach 76-80C, when the ECU just may allow VTEC. It also prevent a quick rise in engine temperature during hot day, peak hour/slow drive traffic as it allows a larger volume of coolant to circulate the engine at a lower temperature than stock.

Take this as an example where it may save your engine
Cold start
coolant reach 80C
-temperature gauge goes to 2 bars
-ecu let you vtec
Now with the stock thermostat the opening range is 76-80. So it may not be open until when the coolant reach 80C. Thermostat opens, rush of cold coolant into the engine. What do you expect the coolant in the engine is now when you vtec your car? At least with the mugen, you will know you won't get this surge of coolant temperature and your engine may be safer BELOW 98 DEGREES.

Just my 2 bobs....sorry haven't got 50cent to BS with!
Old 01-30-2005, 10:16 PM

looks like a bit of editing and sitting on the fence from someone as usual
I don't see "Edited By AusS2000 on XX/XX/XXXX" anywhere on the post.

Why are you doing this? I didn't mention your engine failure, so why are you? Now you're calling me "sorry ass, keyboard warrior"?

We were asked to stop the bickering for the sake of the other members of S2ki. I've abided by that request. Please have the courtesy to do the same!
Old 01-30-2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000' date='Jan 31 2005, 09:53 AM

I'm not saying Mr Honda got it right, H9k was.
is this another comprehension problem from you again ?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000' date='Jan 31 2005, 04:46 PM
I don't see "Edited By AusS2000 on XX/XX/XXXX" anywhere on the post.

Why are you doing this? I didn't mention your engine failure, so why are you? Now you're calling me "sorry ass, keyboard warrior"?

We were asked to stop the bickering for the sake of the other members of S2ki. I've abided by that request. Please have the courtesy to do the same!
hint: read reds2's 2 posts above this and you will find out where your editting gone
"Edited by AusS2000 is gone becuase you are a community organiser and were given the right to change your post by the moderator with out any evidence.

Sorry did I miss something or have I accused you incorrectly the allmighty innocent AusS?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:35 PM

btw thanks for the quote and keeping the evidence reds2
Old 01-30-2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by honda9krpm' date='Jan 31 2005, 05:32 PM
hint: read reds2's 2 posts above this and you will find out where your editting gone
I think you'll find those are Red's words (as are the ones in red). He just didn't colour them correctly. My post hasn't changed since I submitted it.

Those words should be red, like your face. I'll await your apology.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k' date='Jan 30 2005, 09:39 AM
My friend has been driving his car hard in cold climates right upon start up and his rings dont seal much anymore. I used to get piston slap on my civic driving the car hard right after start up. BMW imposes a rev limiter that progessively goes up as the engine warms up. F1 cars are warmed up before they are even started because of their clearances being so specific.
Notice my highlights. There lies your problems with seal clearances and piston slap. Not because you have an aftermarket thermostat. Driving your car really hard right after startup is just plain dumb, and asking for problems like you described. Any intelligent, or even somewhat intelligent, gear head should know this. Hell, I start my car, smoke a ciggarette, then I drive for about 15-20 minutes at least before I even think about going past 5-6 grand. No VTEC for me for at least 20 minutes. Weather temps very these times of course. But that's just me. I want my 'S' and my Civic, which i still love even though my Sister has taken over driving it... to last me a long time, and be just as fast 5 years from now, as it is today.
Plain and simple, an aftermarket thermostat is not going to lower your engine temps to this range after it has been running and warmed up properly, so this is not even a concern. So again, I honestly don't think the clearances you seem worried about should be a concern if your treating your engine right. With or without an aftermarket thermostat. Yes it may take a bit longer in cold climates to warm up to full operating temps, but like everything else in life...
Good things come to those that wait.
I dont want to have you or anyone arguing about this.
Agreed. I thought we were having a discussion.
My original statement said that it's not necessary for the average car and conditions.
I think we were talking more or less about modified cars. I agree 100% that a stock car under normal conditions needs no extra help.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:33 AM

Whoa. easy there fellas. the Mugen whore comment was mine. I forgot to color it red.

Quick Reply: Thermostat