S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is there a such thing as Type-R oil from Honda?

Old 06-13-2001, 09:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is there a such thing as Type-R oil from Honda?

I'm only at 2500 miles, and I've burned up about 1 1/2 quarts. I've replaced it with Honda 10w-30 from the dealer, but I remember reading somewhere on the board that we originally have a special "Integra Type-R oil" in the engine
The guy at the Honda parts department looked at me crazy when I asked about it, pointed to the regular 10w-30 on the shelf and said, "This is what your car has".

Have you heard of a type-R oil?
Old 06-14-2001, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes ... While the oil is nothing more than the same inside of some really poor grade, I can't recall and it's simply more like a marketing gimmick by Honda.

0W30 Castrol SLX is what I use ... Not the best on the market but definitely better than those Honda "Integra Type R High Performance Engine Oil".
Old 06-14-2001, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Takashi, is that a synthetic oil? Here (in the states), the Castrol conventional oil is very bad- it uses paraffin (wax) and other additives that cause sludge and deposits to form over extended use and heat. I assume that their synthetic wouldn't have this problem, but I've stayed away from Castrol because of their other poor oil.

Mobil 1 for me- as soon as I finish using the Valvoline conventional at 3k miles.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]Takashi, is that a synthetic oil? Here (in the states), the Castrol conventional oil is very bad- it uses paraffin (wax) and other additives that cause sludge and deposits to form over extended use and heat. I assume that their synthetic wouldn't have this problem, but I've stayed away from Castrol because of their other poor oil.
Old 06-14-2001, 03:08 PM

Hey all, just an fyi. A guy I know on an M3 board bought all the synthetic oils out there on the market and had them sent out for testing. The results were surprising in that he found out that the best performing oil was made by AMSOIL. Its called Series 200 Ow-30. Even the techs at amsoil were not really sure what in the formulation makes the oil as good as it is. It is expensive, but ever since I read his post over a year ago, thta's what I've run in all my cars.

I know you can buy it online at amsoil.com, or you can find a local distributor. I plan to do this to my S2K when I hit 2500 miles, since it seems that oil burning is quite the issue in this car. From my experience my 98 M3 burnt oil...but when I switched over to the amsoil brand I had no oil burning issues to date..and I had previously only used Mobil 1

Bassem
Old 06-14-2001, 03:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]Takashi, is that a synthetic oil? Here (in the states), the Castrol conventional oil is very bad- it uses paraffin (wax) and other additives that cause sludge and deposits to form over extended use and heat. I assume that their synthetic wouldn't have this problem, but I've stayed away from Castrol because of their other poor oil.
Old 06-14-2001, 03:39 PM

Funny thing is that on the AMSOil home page they cite Pennzoil doing second best in their head-to-head comparisons... The rumors may not be as true as they sound.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:10 PM

Hey all-

I've had some problems with Castrol SLX foaming...

Mobil 1 is good... no problems there... but for me it meets the bare minimum. Much better than mineral oil, but nowhere near as good as the stuff I like to use. Mobil 1 also has a 0w30 weight, but I don't recommend any 0w30 for high heat cars.

Redline is where it's at for me. I use 10w40 Redline in the S2000, and 20w50 in the other car. Extra block protection is more important for me than the marginal power gains from lower viscosities.

The bike uses Agip full synthetic. Who knows what weight it is- the dealer put it in a few weeks ago for my first oil change.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:32 PM

Castrol SLX 0W30 is full synthetic ... I don't know if it's available in the States, best looking bottle of engine oil by Castrol. Some other comments mentioned like Pennzoil, they have this full synthetic space engineer oil or something anyway it's crap.

While Castrol SLX on the whole performs pretty good if you like to trash your engine or always driving in the redlining zone. But there are some personal experience with other DOHC VTEC users of B16A, B16B, B18C, B18C5 and B18C7 that Castrol SLX burns a bit and you have to monitor oil levels to top it off. Other than that, nothing on the F20C or CB32.

But it's definitely not the best on the market, the true engine oil is the performance type made by Motul, FET, and V 5W40 is pretty popular in Japan for those people running DOHC VTEC applications. At the end of the day, it's how you drive the car and the setup with the weather (Colder temperature will see the need for lower viscousity), road conditions (Always stop and go, or always smooth) determines one type of engine oil that will suit your driving style and habits.

There is never one superior over everything and this has been the debate in Japan over the years and still hasn't made any progress.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
...Pennzoil, they have this full synthetic space engineer oil or something anyway it's crap.
...another statement fully supported by scientific study, obviously!

Quick Reply: Is there a such thing as Type-R oil from Honda?