S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is there something wrong with my tranny?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious,Apr 17 2008, 11:15 PM
Make them replace the clutch. Worn out or not, there's a TSB on it. Demonstrate it to them with a simple math equation: Car with warranty + TSB = fix my F'ing car or i'll sue your ass.
uhm not so fast. Do you know what a TSB is? It's a service bulletin to inform the dealer about situations not covered in manuals, how to fix certain problems, what might be causing a problem, inform them about new techniques and tools, etc. It's not a recall. You can't barge into the dealer with a print out of a TSB and demand it be fixed. First, the problem must be demonstrated. They have to see that something is wrong. Secondly, they are not required at all to fix TSBs that address issues deemed non-crucial in the safety or integrity of the vehicle.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec9,Apr 17 2008, 08:41 PM
uhm not so fast. Do you know what a TSB is? It's a service bulletin to inform the dealer about situations not covered in manuals, how to fix certain problems, what might be causing a problem, inform them about new techniques and tools, etc. It's not a recall. You can't barge into the dealer with a print out of a TSB and demand it be fixed. First, the problem must be demonstrated. They have to see that something is wrong. Secondly, they are not required at all to fix TSBs that address issues deemed non-crucial in the safety or integrity of the vehicle.
thats the same what the guy from the told me. For them to check there is a $95 service fee and they might need to do a tear down, if so then there is a tear down fee(i am guessing around 500). Then if my warranty don't cover i have to pay for the tear down and the service fee. That is just for the service not to fix the problem

this is why i am looking into a after market clutch and flywheel

what would you guys do?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is something really wrong with the tranny (the clicks, not the noise), then I would have it torn down. If it is determined that you need service and a tear down, they will be dropping the tranny and it would make sense at that point to change the clutch, associated bearings, and flywheel if you want. I would not do anything to the clutch if they are not dropping the tranny in the first place. A clutch job is expensive and timely, and the noise you're hearing is probably clutch buzz which is not indiciative of a real problem -- that is, nothing is going to break, and no performance loss will occurr.. it's just an annoying sound. Unless of course they would say up front they would do it for free.

I can't say over the internet that I would let them tear down the engine for $600 without driving the car myself. All I can say is if they think something is wrong, and they want to tear it down, I'd probably let them. And only then would I replace the clutch components.

If you do a clutch job, personally I would just get an OEM friction disc (new discs shouldn't have the buzzing problem), a stronger pressure plate (ACT makes a nice one), and maybe a lightened flywheel from whomever you choose (toda, comptech, and so on).
Old 04-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get what you mean but my warranty ends this nov so if i want longer then they can fix anything for me =(