S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is there something wrong with my tranny?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there something wrong with my tranny?

Hi i have a few quick questions. I just got my ap1 for not too long. When i drive my car in the morning when I am going into 2nd 3rd and 4th i feel 2 clicks this might be normal but sometimes when i can going into third at low rpm (2-3k) I feel a tiny grind but i can be wrong. the thing is that after 4k rpm going into third is very smooth. I took it to the dealer they said that is normal for the clicks but they did not feel the thrid gear grinding.

Also another problem is the when i am in gear (2nd-4th) and there is no throttle the tranny of diff makes a very loud sound is that normal?

I did some search and can't really find any similar problem. I am going to change my tranny and diff once i get my car back from the dealer. Also i was wondering how often do you chance your diff fluid?

sorry for so many question guys thanks alot -tim
Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 AM
Banned

any one?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change your fluids, see if it'll do anything
Try shifting higher up (4k?), remember, our cars don't have much torque so shifting at 2 to 3 k is not smooth.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=xo0hamsta0ox,Apr 17 2008, 02:29 AM] Hi i have a few quick questions. I just got my ap1 for not too long. When i drive my car in the morning when I am going into 2nd 3rd and 4th i feel 2 clicks this might be normal but sometimes when i can going into third at low rpm (2-3k) I feel a tiny grind but i can be wrong. the thing is that after 4k rpm going into third is very smooth. I took it to the dealer they said that is normal for the clicks but they did not feel the thrid gear grinding.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

alrite thanks alot guys
Old 04-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

I took it to the dealer for the buzz tsb problem they said they are not sure if my warranty will cover it (extended 7 years 100,000 drivetrain). They said if its the clutch they might not approve because its a older car and the clutch would go out after time.

I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and had extended warranty if they got it fixed or not.

Also i would like to know if i replace it with an aftermarket clutch would it fix the problem? thanks -tim
Old 04-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Remind them that the clutch is part of the drivetrain. Also, the clutch SPRINGS having slack in them and causing a buzz is not nessecarily a worn out clutch....especially if there's a freaking TSB on it. They're just trying to get out of something that they should cover.

If you buy an aftermarket clutch, it will most likely void your warranty. Think about it. If they're being douches about something that they should cover...what are they going to do if there's a broken diff or worn synchronizers later down the road? They're going to say "your after market clutch may have caused....blah blah blah".

Make them replace the clutch. Worn out or not, there's a TSB on it. Demonstrate it to them with a simple math equation: Car with warranty + TSB = fix my F'ing car or i'll sue your ass.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

thanks alot man
Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Mine does the same thing. It was very smoth when I had HMTF but when Honda had to work on my trans I think they put the old dirty fluid back in, with watever dirt or other crap that may have gotten into the fluid as the trans was open. I know this because I didn't see any HMTF on the warrenty bill. Last time Honda did work on the trans they listed HMTF on the warrenty bill. Also, I just took out the fluid to check and it was nasty and dirty. I did a full drain and replaced with Lucas 75-90 full syth gear oil GL-5. It is very smoth now but I do get a very mild click feel when the car is cold and I shift into 2nd under 4k RPM. I will change back to the HMTF in the near future. I like the Lucas synth gear oil in my diff but I think the HMTF is the best for the S2k trans. I used the extra Lucal gear oil in my trans because that is all I had at the time but it does seem to be pretty good. We'll see if the change back to HMTF makes things feel a little better. keep in mind that it feels better then just about any other manual I have shifted in my life so I may just be being picky.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse.mesa,Apr 17 2008, 08:12 PM
Mine does the same thing. It was very smoth when I had HMTF but when Honda had to work on my trans I think they put the old dirty fluid back in, with watever dirt or other crap that may have gotten into the fluid as the trans was open. I know this because I didn't see any HMTF on the warrenty bill. Last time Honda did work on the trans they listed HMTF on the warrenty bill. Also, I just took out the fluid to check and it was nasty and dirty. I did a full drain and replaced with Lucas 75-90 full syth gear oil GL-5. It is very smoth now but I do get a very mild click feel when the car is cold and I shift into 2nd under 4k RPM. I will change back to the HMTF in the near future. I like the Lucas synth gear oil in my diff but I think the HMTF is the best for the S2k trans. I used the extra Lucal gear oil in my trans because that is all I had at the time but it does seem to be pretty good. We'll see if the change back to HMTF makes things feel a little better. keep in mind that it feels better then just about any other manual I have shifted in my life so I may just be being picky.
75w 90 is WAAAAAAY too damn thick. You should really switch that back out. The consistency of Honda's MTF is like the consistency of motor oil. It also has a friction modifier in it now a days (the version 2 stuff is a ton better than the version 1 stuff). In the manual, it says you can substitute honda MTF with 10W-30 oil but it wont shift as smoothly. It really does shift a lot less smoothly with motor oil vs. HMTF.

Buy the right fluid. You can't use gear oil in most (if not all) Honda transmissions.

Quick Reply: Is there something wrong with my tranny?