S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Are there any limitations on the Greddy e-mannage ECU????

Old 02-26-2003, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know Wesmaster had an SC. It wasn't in his sig.

It sounds as if it could help you fine tune your NA car, to better learn the techniques and responses in order to make quicker work of retuning when you add boost

Does anyone know anyone who has tuned their NA with it and what kind of change they had in their power curve?

I still wonder where the screen would fit.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by David b
I didn't know Wesmaster had an SC. It wasn't in his sig.

It sounds as if it could help you fine tune your NA car, to better learn the techniques and responses in order to make quicker work of retuning when you add boost

Does anyone know anyone who has tuned their NA with it and what kind of change they had in their power curve?

I still wonder where the screen would fit.
it would require a skilled tuner to get more power safely out of the engine if it's running stock power, now up the compression and maybe cams, then power can be found through tuning. But tuning conservatively will be important for me. Until I can afford to build up a spare motor, conservative is where it will have to be.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:43 PM

Vapor,

I have heard the stock ECU runs really rich up top. Leaning that out with the Emanage should produce decent gains while still retaining a safety margin. This is essentially what the Mugen ECU does, AFAIK.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:49 PM

I have seen what I would call fairly significant power gains after VTEC with a VAFC.

But more importantly you could develop a feel for the tuning and what happens when you change "X" characteristic so that you could be more confident when you add the unknown of boost to the mix.

It could also help you maximize headers, CAI etc.

How hard was the install?

What has to be cut, what's irreversible or is there a special plug in for it?
Old 02-26-2003, 08:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]Vapor,

I have heard the stock ECU runs really rich up top.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by David b
How hard was the install?

What has to be cut, what's irreversible or is there a special plug in for it?
Myself and a local owner spliced the eManage harness with a V-AFC harness so that none of the original wiring harness wires were tampered with. The splicing took about 2 hours all together. That includes comparing the eManage manual (which doesn't include any specific instructions for the S2000) with the S2000 Helm's manual. One the harness is built the eManage has to be opened and the jumpers set for a 4 cylinder V-TEC motor. There are 7 (I believe) jumpers that have to be set, and three dials on the side. We figured out the correct settings based on the manual and got it right on the first try...I have these settings document for anyone who wants them (I know it helped Maca out when he couldn't get his car to start with the eManage).

I expected to have at least one thing go wrong with my install but it worked out perfectly. I've been running with the eManage on the car for a few months with no problems.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:08 PM

I wasnt jumping on your back about not knowing about Wesmaster

Its just that he was one of the pioneers of the comptech, atleast to my knowledge.

ANyhow, doesn t the e manage also have power over the timing? SOmething that the VAFC cannot do. If the VAFC is able to pick up anywhere from 5 - 15 just from playing with the air fuel ratio, the Greddy units should easily be able to pick up another 2- 10 on top of that.

According to Hamss2000, he picked up about 25 just from tuning is AEM EMS on a NA car. Some other company in Aus has been claiming similar numbers for over 2 years. I def believe this is more than possible on a stock motor. WHat Vapors says though is probably going to be the limiting factor. Your only going to be able to play with timing so much before you get some detonation. Especially with the 91 in the so cali.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:56 AM

I guess I will get the emanage. I will need to get the screen also since I run Macs and not the Satan's Spawn - Windows. I can run Windows on a Mac, but just don't have a serial port. I like the idea of not having to have a laptop to program anyway.

I would dearly love to see what you did with the VAFC harness and setting the dials and jumpers. I would prefer to get it right the first time also.

I had heard so stories about how secretive Greddy was with software and tuning so was leaning in another direction.

I will be adding boost this summer, but a turbo not a SC. The tuning concepts are the same.

Unlike the "bigger is better" mentality that most of S2ki seems to share I want safe, reliable and invisible so I am working on a low boost system. I want to tune it and then forget it until I do go "POWER MAD".

You know it is inevitable, but I am hoping that by that time other will have blown their engines and I can learn from their misteaks.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by vapors2k

true, but with the fuel we have down here (91 octane) the engine will knock if you run it with the mugen ecu.
Well, we may have crappy winters up here, but at least we can get 94 octane at the pumps.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:22 AM

Yes, eManage can control timing as well. I haven't touched on that much because I haven't wired up my ignition harness yet. I plan on tuning the fuel first then going back later to do power tuning with the ignition. We had limited time when we wired up the harness (my 'technician' was going out of the country) so we did what was most important.

[QUOTE][B]I guess I will get the emanage.

Quick Reply: Are there any limitations on the Greddy e-mannage ECU????