S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thanks To Rr.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks To Rr.

Some recognition is due here, any of you agree, jump on the bandwagon and say your thanks. id like to say road rage, that i appreciate your efforts to provide everyone on here with the info they need to make a good decision. i just dropped the fluid out of my diff, and in goes LE 607. very nice.
Im the shop foreman at a volkswagen dealership, and have been wrenchin and tuning for a long time, was a redline distributor for a long time, and have done as much oil study as i can without being in that industry. so im always lookin for that secret company out there that no one knows about, who has the best stuff, (kinda like when neo released to the public). so when i heard you say that the guys at LE surpassed your expectations, and their products had everyone elses covered in the standard load tests, i was impressed. and it took me a nanosecond to make the decision.
Next thing on my list, is sort of a question, but im also gonna watch for a consensus.
id like to know what fluid will be compatible with all of our 04 gearboxes, i know many have been using redline (i use MTL in my drag car gearbox), but i have heard some sad stuff going on with MTL and its use in the cobra gearboxes, its not loving carbon fiber too much. so im reluctant at this point to dump it in my car. id like to know if LE has anything that will hold up, and be good buddies with the CF on my synchros.
Anyways, thanx to all of you out there for any info ahead of time, and thanx again RR for all the input on the whos who of the lube industry.

laterz dave.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, another 2-3 days Dave and I would have delivered it to you
Old 05-06-2004, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx for the support.

I considered all the things you mentioned about the tranny, and actually had the first post suggesting caution about using synoils in the MY04 exactly for the reasons you stated, and the fact that i have a SVT SC'd Cobra! (Talk about convergence).

But after looking at the chemical analysis of MTL, I did not see anything that worried me, as the friction modifiers used in Honda MTF are almost exactly duplicated in MTL. I went to MTL in my car, and posted so far so good.

I also have spoken to LE about what they might need to do to gets ome play for a tramnny oil. First, I never endorsed LE-703 as a tranny lube for the S2000.

I told LE that they would have to surpass RL's MT-series oir become Honda's OEM supplier of MTF if they wanted to compete. Otherwise, they are an also-ran in a niche market. They listen to me, so who knows what we will see. the good news is that they are smnall enough to be agile, where the biggies look at the marketing plan first, and could care less about a small group of guys and gals driving a car that sells in the low 5-figure sales volume.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the support, no prob. im always up for giving credit to those who deserve it, very few people say thank you these days. as for the redline, i love redline, and i want it in my 04 box, i just need to get over a personal hurdle at this point. last gearbox i added it to was the 6 spd in the rsx type S. it was my car, and sad to say,, that gearbox is a pile. or shall i say, its cable shift setup is, it cannot follow fast enough your motions, and 2nd and 3rd grind always. so when it was unshiftable, 16k miles, i dropped it off at acura. i have many friends there, the tech i asked for did not get to touch my car, some dork did, well he had conversed with one of my buddies who was excited to see how much wear with MTL. well, as soon as he mentioned that, the crabapple tech decided cause it wasnt honda fluid, it wasnt warranty. needless to say i wasnt happy when they tried to sick the bill on me, i giggled, called their GM, and the guys at acura america. the dealership called me back and winced, we are gonna *goodwill* this thing. well, i got a whole new box put in, and left the stock fluid in, well, in 6 k miles, it was starting to miss 2nd and 3rd again bad. i gave up, and dropped it off for an s2k, and here i am today so in a way, i thank honda for that pile cable shift setup. take it easy all ,, dave