S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Thanks Guys ! Re. Diff fluid *FIXED*

Old 01-04-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Guys ! Re. Diff fluid *FIXED*

Well , well , well . Today , almost 1 month to the day after having my diff fluid changed by THE DEALER , I notice a little clear fluid under where my diff is . I inspect , and find the same fluid on my exhaust , and a few other areas right behind the diff itself . I panic , call another forum member who works at the dealership , and see if he can look at it tomorrow . He agrees (thanks ssap1) . Still in mild panic , I do a lil' research here , and find stuff on leaking mounts , a "venting" diff , and THE RIGHT/WRONG FLUIDS that can be put into our finicky little diffs . Whip out my receipt from said change and find :

HON 08200-9002 FLUID,DUAL PUMP QTY 2

Now , from what I gather , and I guess I'm just making sure I read everything correctly , this is not the proper fluid , right ? This stuff is meant to go in the CR-V .
And according to the leaking mount info , the clear fluid I found doesn't indicate that I have a leaking mount . That fluid should be reddish brown , right ? I'm not having any symptoms other than the mysterious origin of the fluid . No strange sounds , or feelings at all . Anyways , if anyone could make sure I have the right info , that would be of great help . I'm still a bit tweaked and may have read something wrong , or gotten something backwards . I'm still going to the dealer tomorrow , but I need to know if I should go in Rambo style because they screwed up , or just try to find out where the leak is (through no fault of the dealer) . Hey , atleast I did SOME research before posting ! Thanks guys .

Jeremy
Old 01-04-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

You may not make it to the dealer with that fluid in the dif. and I'm not even exaggerating. I would have it towed, and tell the morons to put the correct fluid in.

Many people have destroyed their diff in one days time with that fluid.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Thanks , man . Not for the "good news" , but for actually affirming my info . Funny how a little spot of fluid I found 3hrs ago could lead me to this . Actually I'm thankful it led me to this . I really do owe it to this forum . I'll post up the results tomorrow , and let everyone know what happens .
Old 01-04-2006, 06:04 PM

Kewl, don't take any crap from them.

There's an article about NOT using that fluid here somewhere, go in there with it
Old 01-04-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by billman250,Jan 4 2006, 10:04 PM
Kewl, don't take any crap from them.

There's an article about NOT using that fluid here somewhere, go in there with it
Got it , they'll also have something in their tech articles as well . I'll MAKE them find it . One other question - It seems fine now , but what if they change the fluid to the correct stuff (hopefully my spec on their dime) and THEN it fails ? What I mean is , could it already be damaged and just not showing symptoms *yet* ?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:13 PM

it is possible...how many miles on the current crap?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by billman250,Jan 4 2006, 10:13 PM
it is possible...how many miles on the current crap?
Maybe 800mi ? Actually , I just read another thread about this . Seems it's hard to tell if it's damaged or not without tearing it down . I guess I'll ask to watch them drain it and inspect it for any debris (like metal shavings) . If they find something , well , they just bought me a new diff . If they don't find anything , I'll have them add it to my records (and print a copy for me) that at one point they screwed up . Hopefully with that , if it ever does fail , I won't be paying for it . If they replace it , I'm thinking I should keep the original diff , right ?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, this would be totally unbelievable, if it wasn't so totally believable!
Aren't these people supposed to get some training before they work an a 30k plus Honda??
Old 01-04-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by frank b,Jan 4 2006, 10:32 PM
Man, this would be totally unbelievable, if it wasn't so totally believable!
Aren't these people supposed to get some training before they work an a 30k plus Honda??
Yeah , you would think so . This dealer has been pretty good to me so I'm hoping this time is no exception .
Old 01-04-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In case you haven't seen these:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115704

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=199536

Even if they change the fluid to the correct stuff, the diff may still go south one day. Keep all your documentation on this. It can take a few miles or a few hundred miles to cause permanent damage. I think they've just bought you a brand new diff.
BTW, I've seen reports that Honda USA issued a warning about using that VTM-4, dual pump fluid in our diffs. I'm sure your dealer has it buried someplace in their computer system.

Quick Reply: Thanks Guys ! Re. Diff fluid *FIXED*