S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

test pipe or high flow cat ?

Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Brndon
HFC sounds better imo with aftermarket exhaust
yes i forgot about that part too. A test pipe runs the chance of sounding raspy, while the HFC will have a cleaner sound. all depending on what exhaust you have of course. the higher flow exhaust with smaller mufflers will aid in a raspy sound with a test pipe, while running a test pipe with a stock exhaust for example, probably wouldn't result in much, if any, rasp.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i think people tend to over exaggerate the smell the test pipe causes..i have the 70mm invidia with the 70mm invidia dual Q300 and it doesnt smell that bad at all.. definitely a more pronounced exhaust smell when you are behind the car...but no smell at all while driving..even with the top down..never even come close to smelling like rotten eggs or anything like that...just my experience with my car though

as for sound..the HFC will most likely be better there..my q300 had a nice tone to it all the way up to 9k...now with the test pipe..below 6k the exhaust sounds amazing..once in vtec though..its obnoxiuolsy loud and quite raspy...ive always been a fan of loud cars though so i like it lol
Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 219 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
How badly does a test pipe smell?

Drive behind one on your next club drive or stand behind one at your next meet. It doesn't smell from inside the car.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:30 AM

Received 219 Likes on 177 Posts

If you don't know who has one, look for the bumper with all the soot on it.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly I just put a tp on. Cops here in colorado don't mind it too much. It does smell but I kinda like it haha. Smells good to me like how I like the smell of gas. Tp is 80 bucks shipped and hfc is around 270!!!!!! The costs to me just weren't worth it to me.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by sonic9
i think people tend to over exaggerate the smell the test pipe causes..i have the 70mm invidia with the 70mm invidia dual Q300 and it doesnt smell that bad at all.. definitely a more pronounced exhaust smell when you are behind the car...but no smell at all while driving..even with the top down..never even come close to smelling like rotten eggs or anything like that...just my experience with my car though

as for sound..the HFC will most likely be better there..my q300 had a nice tone to it all the way up to 9k...now with the test pipe..below 6k the exhaust sounds amazing..once in vtec though..its obnoxiuolsy loud and quite raspy...ive always been a fan of loud cars though so i like it lol
maybe there's something wrong with your nose? i run a HFC and the smell is already noticeable. My friend new i had a HFC or testpipe just based on the smell while cruising around town. When i notice the smell most when i come to stop and the exhaust fumes float towards the front of the car (I always drive windows down).

I used to run a test pipe on my integra and the smell was very strong.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinS2OOO
How badly does a test pipe smell?
They don't, unless your motor is running excessively rich, or burns oil. That's what your smelling with a TP. The cat otherwise burns that off before it wafts into your cabin when you come to a stop light.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Originally Posted by sonic9' timestamp='1366370414' post='22484581

maybe there's something wrong with your nose? i run a HFC and the smell is already noticeable. My friend new i had a HFC or testpipe just based on the smell while cruising around town. When i notice the smell most when i come to stop and the exhaust fumes float towards the front of the car (I always drive windows down).

hell there very well might be...all i smell when behind the car is a more pronounced exhaust smell...no rotten egg smell at all and def. no smell while driving...I have a buddy of mine with an s2k drive behind me often and he's never mentioned a bad smell..maybe he's just being nice though lol..ill ask next time i see him
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Our stock cat already looks like a high flow cat.... im not sure why people bother spending money on another cat.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by sonic9
Originally Posted by Chris_Lum' timestamp='1366421486' post='22486437
[quote name='sonic9' timestamp='1366370414' post='22484581']

hell there very well might be...all i smell when behind the car is a more pronounced exhaust smell...no rotten egg smell at all and def. no smell while driving...I have a buddy of mine with an s2k drive behind me often and he's never mentioned a bad smell..maybe he's just being nice though lol..ill ask next time i see him
[/quote]

i don't have a rotten egg smell, but unless anyone thinks a more pronounced exhaust smell is a good smell or a good thing, then i don't know how else to describe a test pipe smell other than 'pretty bad.' IMO, it's not just a slightly worse exhaust smell--it's a lot worse. If you are the type of person driving with your windows up and AC on all the time, then sure you probably wouldn't notice it, but for sure, those driving behind you do. Again, i drive windows down 99% of the time (and even hardtop on) and 4/5 times that i come to a stop from anything over 25-30mph, i can usually smell the exhaust fumes. If you drive behind any car with test pipe, it's noticeable and they don't have to be flooring it. Around SoCal, there are a lot of subaru owners that like to do testpipes and driving even 10 cars behind them on the freeway it's like sticking your nose inches away from a regular catted exhaust system.

i'm not saying it's the worst thing in the world, but i don't think it's being over exaggerated one bit. that's just my $0.02

Quick Reply: test pipe or high flow cat ?