S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Terrible Rattle Front of Car

Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible Rattle Front of Car

I am jacking the car up, recording audio tomorrow. I can loosen the slave release fork and look in there, I don't know where to start looking. It sounds like something is loose, random rattling around at idle. much worse than normal clutch buzz. Changes to speed based, once per rotation of something while in gear and driving.

I went to get some pizza, hadn't driven the car for a week. The first 3 miles were great. 1 mile from home I left a stop light in 1st gear, noticed a slight rattling sound, increased with speed. 2nd was pretty bad too, 3rd was quieter. A few hundred feet it got very loud and I pulled over. Car running, neutral, clutch pedal out, still very bad. When I press the clutch pedal, the sound is much quieter. It sounds like it comes from the engine/transmission area. Engine oil, coolant look good, no check engine lights.

Limped back home in 3rd gear at 10mph, since it was less terrible sounding than 1st or 2nd. It sounded like a shaft was hitting something with each rotation, increased occurrence with speed. At my inclined driveway, I tried 2nd gear from a stop, the car actually rolled back under power right when the sound happened. I tried for a few seconds, maybe 10 total clunks, the car mostly moving forward uphill slowly, two clunks where the car instantly rolled back a little. 1st gear still made the noise, no weird jerking back downhill.

I can shift into all of the gears fine, no crunching or gear noise. Engine seems great. It might be something to do with the clutch/bearing.

2004 S2000 84,000 miles. Transmission and differential fluid were changed 100 miles ago. Honda MTF and Mobil 1 75w90. I'll check these fluid levels also.

I'll update this tomorrow, I just wanted to get a poorly formatted general description posted.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,030 Posts

No chance you dropped a tool or part into the engine bay?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYPAE2HYmVI

Sounds expensive. At least the noise is distinct, so someone can tell me what to tell the shop. I don't have the tools or room to drop the transmission at home.
Last night it made the noise with the clutch pedal up AND down, louder while up. This video was a cold start. Today it only makes the noise when the pedal is up.

Will driving it a few miles like this to the shop cause more damage?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:23 AM

That sounds terrible. Definitely clutch related. I would get it towed to the shop asap.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mataleao9380
That sounds terrible. Definitely clutch related. I would get it towed to the shop asap.
Drove car to shop. Diagnosis soon.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Do you know if the clutch is OEM?
Old 02-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet
Do you know if the clutch is OEM?
I do not have service records from the previous owner.
I bought the 2004MY car with 64,000 miles July 2012. 83,000 current miles.

The shop called back. They did a test drive so far. The tech thinks it might be the transmission input shaft. Of course they will recommend clutch replace while it is out. They are dropping the transmission tomorrow.

Random video of a different car with bad input shaft bearing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLFV4GnZbRo
My car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYPAE2HYmVI

The videos do not sound similar to me.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:34 PM

Honda civic forum, but still relevant:

"So here's my situation: I was having the "whirring, rolling marbles" sort of sound coming from my car WITH THE CLUTCH PEDAL OUT. Push the clutch pedal in, the sound disappears. From what I've always understood, that was the throwout/release bearing. EDIT: Forgot to mention that at speeds over 45mph, the sound goes away completely. Not sure if that makes a difference...

Well, I replaced the throwout/release bearing with an Exedy kit with the clutch/pressure plate/pilot bearing/throwout bearing. I also replaced the rear main seal while I was in there...buttoned everything back up after a long days's work and....the sound is still there. SMH

So am I correct in now assuming this is probably the input shaft bearing? I'm so pissed that I have to take everything apart again, that really sucks. I specifically replaced the rear main seal so that I had the absolute longest interval before doing that again. "

"It's definitely A bad bearing in the trans. Truthfully it could be any one or more of 5 bearings that are bad.

In terms of diagnosis, remember the throwout/release bearing only turns with the clutch pedal depressed (clutch disengaged)"

"I had a bad input shaft bearing in my car from late September 2004 until probably about two months ago.

It sounded like a little rock tumbler when idling, but still ran okay, if a bit sluggish."

My exact symptoms:

"Ok so after reading this thread and others i can say i think i have a bad ISB. When my car is on neutral it makes that "marble" noise. When im acelcelerating it makes grinding noise. At 3rdthe gear and on it dosent make the noise anymore. Only 1st and 2nd sometimes 3rd. "
Old 02-23-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,030 Posts

My exact symptoms:

"Ok so after reading this thread and others i can say i think i have a bad ISB. When my car is on neutral it makes that "marble" noise. When im acelcelerating it makes grinding noise. At 3rdthe gear and on it dosent make the noise anymore. Only 1st and 2nd sometimes 3rd. "

When you depress the clutch pedal to the floor, the noise goes away?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

It can only be two things, either the throw out bearing or the trans. In my experience blowing two trans, and the severity of this sound, thats what it sounds like, the trans. Id start shopping for a low mile used one to swap in. It will cost x3 more to rebuild this one. Also, this does not mean your clutch is automatically trash by default, it is isolated. So push for inspection before replacement. Even if you just replace the clutch disc, but that may be totally fine as well. 84k miles is quite low for a clutch, certainly the pressure plate. I would have the throw out and pilot bearing replaced.

Quick Reply: Terrible Rattle Front of Car