S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tell me why this shouldn't be done

Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Jan 5 2011, 12:18 AM
I don't think its that big of a problem? worst outcome I see is oil pressure drops/water pump speed drops, but the engine is already idling so the high oil pressure isnt really needed, correct me if I'm wrong?

I think keeping it in gear + letting it wind down from 9K is worse for the engine. If I were that guy I'd go through all my gears and put it into 6th and let it cruise down from there
I'm no expert, but this is my thought as well. For fuel economy reasons, I regularly let my Celica "drift" up to redlights and stop signs. Sometimes this means taking it out of gear at 70mph on the freeway and letting it drift up an off-ramp to a stop at the top. The car is 10years old with 180k miles and has always run flawlessly.

If for some reason the S2000 is different, then I'd love to hear why.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Jan 4 2011, 10:57 PM
If its about saving fuel you should leave it in gear.
Engine braking costs 0 (zero) fuel.
Idling uses fuel.

You use more gas by leaving it in gear as you brake. You do enhance braking though. IMO, it's a zero-sum trade off.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billman250,Jan 4 2011, 07:02 PM
Stupid.

For safety, and engine health (vaccuum cooling principles, wont get into it here), and driving properly, LEAVE it in gear.
while the engine is no longer injecting fuel no combustion is takin place, however the pistons are still moving air and create a vaccume...this air helps cool the engine as well as the engine oil since. Heat travels from Hot to cold. Basically, during deceleration the only heat being generated is friction heat since NO fuel is being injected and ignited. am i right ?? lol
Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh,Jan 5 2011, 06:32 AM
You use more gas by leaving it in gear as you brake. You do enhance braking though. IMO, it's a zero-sum trade off.
during deceleration ZERO fuel is being injected into the combustion chamber read my post above. you actually use less fuel and have more effective breaking since the drivetrain is engaged.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Jan 4 2011, 10:57 PM
If its about saving fuel you should leave it in gear.
Engine braking costs 0 (zero) fuel.
Idling uses fuel.

do you like airplanes ?

watch this AWESOME serries on youtube

B-29 Frozen in Time Pt 1
Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 AM

i can't beleive people think the car uses gas when it's engine braking...

that is funny.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Engine specific details aside, always keep your car in gear at speed. The last thing you want to do is be in a situation where you need to gas the car and have your drivetrain disconnected, plus there's risk of car imbalance, wheel lock and breaking the drivetrain by doing something stupid like shifting into the wrong gear from idle rpm, plus all modern cars with ECUs these days cut fuel so long as the engine is still running on kinetic energy (the wheels) you save gas.

There's just no reason to coast in neutral.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 AM

I coast in neutral to stop all the time. Not at 100MPH, but when coming to a red light I see no reason to leave it in gear. If the light turns green before I stop I'll revmatch into the appropriate gear. Not a big deal really..
Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When there's sufficient space behind me and the next car, I coast upon exiting the highway or seeing a yellow/red traffic light coming up. From my rudimentary understanding of automobiles, I don't think it matters much as long as you properly rev match back to engage the drivetrain, although rev matching at high speeds carries greater risk of damage to the drivetrain if it's not properly executed.

It's give and take regarding the cost of coasting vs. engine braking. While engine braking uses zero fuel, it also slows you down much faster than coasting so you may end up having to get back on the gas pedal. I imagine it's probably a wash, but you'd probably wear the engine out more by engine braking.

Enlighten me if there is something I'm missing here.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In gear, in control. Out of gear, out of control.
My advice- Stay in control of your car when it's moving.

Quick Reply: Tell me why this shouldn't be done