S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TCT, or Valve Adjustment Noise?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TCT, or Valve Adjustment Noise?

***BEFORE/AFTER COMPARISON UPDATE 11/30/2010***

After receiving quite a few PMs in reference to my TCT video, I took it upon myself to film a new video showing the comparison between the before/after of the install of a brand new TCT.

I combined the footage from previously, with new footage gained today, and hopefully this will help some of you who are "on the fence" in trying to diagnose the sound that you may be hearing from your engine bay.

A lot of members have been having luck with the sandblasting technique, though I decided to go the route of just purchasing a new TCT from HardtopGuy.com, which you can find at this link...

HardtopGuy.com - TCT Part

Secondly, after listening to the footage that I gathered today, it sounds like I'm going to need to purchase a new belt fairly soon, as I can faintly hear a squeaking noise, so I figure that will be something new to add to the list of things to purchase.

All and all though, as I mentioned above in my original post, for the best TCT noise indication, listen to this video on the actual YouTube site, in HD, as without doing such, the noise isn't as noticeable, as it only seems to be picked up in the higher rate that the HD offers.

Hopefully this will help any of you, or any of those in the future who may encounter this issue. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you all though, and I'll do what I can.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqImKIPh02E [/media]

---------

***INITIAL DIAGNOSIS***

I'm hoping that you all may be able to offer some guidance as to an issue I've been experiencing dealing with some faint noise from under the hood and am trying to distinguish if the noise is attributed to a need for a new Timing Chain Tensioner (TCT), or that of a need for a valve adjustment.

From reading some of the many past threads on here dealing with this noise issue, I've come to the conclusion that it usually is cause by one of the two situations that I mentioned above.

The noise is louder from time to time than it is at others, but is very distinguishable. I've tried my best to capture the noise from various angles where I could hear it most notably, so hopefully it'll be evident in this video.

I just figured that I would film this video so that I could get your opinion on which of the two you thought it could be, before I spend the money to buy a new TCT, or go through the trouble of doing a valve adjustment if I don't really need such at the moment.

Again, any help or insight that you all could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Car stats: 2003 S2000 AP1 (70,000 miles) F20C1

(This video was filmed in HD, so it'd probably be best to watch it on the actual YouTube site, as opposed to the one it's showing in the thread here because I noticed that the HD picks up the sound more notably obviously than the standard video compression allows!)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ROlB5JQik [/media]
Old 06-24-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HaRd to tell from video, is it more of a rough idle or sound like a card in bicycle spokes?
Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM

It sounds like the card in bicycle wheel sound like most people have reported with the failing of the TCT, but it's not constant, it comes and goes, which got me thinking that it may not perhaps be the TCT.

For what it's worth, it seems to be a lot more noticeable from the passenger's side fender area when standing on that side of the car, which obviously is the side where the TCT is located, so it seems like a paradigm to me, one minute I think it is, the next minute I think it isn't.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 PM

I had no trouble distinguishing the sound in the video when watching it on Youtube in HD for the better audio. I am fairly certain I have this same sound in my own so I will be happy to hear what the resolution is.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:43 PM

Came looking tonight for same answers- same sounds here too. From other Honda work I've done- it sounds like valvetrain noise, but wanted another opnion... thanks for the video post.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

my money is on the TCT, valve chatter to me is very prominent and consistent. I wouldnt even worry about it if what you are experiencing is displayed in the video. But to you for providing your scenario with a video, not like one of those non-sense posts such as "my car is making sounds, what is the problem"
Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I can deffinately hear a bit of valve noise and another noise that it not really constant (I heard it more between the 1 minute mark and till the end of the vid). I am really not sure what I am hearing as it does not sound like the traditional TCT sound, but it was hard to tell from the video. With the water dripping, it looked like you were maybe running the AC, if so the fan may make it a bit harder to distinguish sounds.

Honestly, these engines, as with all Honda engines have so many different sounds from the injectors, valves, and everything else, that unless the noise is really noticeable I would not worry to much.

With you mileage you could deffinately use a valve adjustment, I do mine around every 30K miles (I know some people may say overkill, but whatever). Go with the adjustment and see if any are way off, check the retainers while you are in there just for a CYA.

If you still get the noise and are really bothered just change the TCT, they are not that expensive.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:51 PM

I really appreciate each and every one of your feedback.

One of the main things I always find irritating when searching for answers is the lack of media, just like one of you mentioned, where someone will just state a problem very vaguely and others are left scratching there heads to even interpret what the original question even was! So with that said, thus why I did the video. Hopefully others who may be experiencing the same noises that I am, as it seems a lot of you are, will be able to find an answer to your problem both quickly and efficiently.

As far as the drip from under the car, when the video was filmed I had just driven the car back home with running the AC, though when the video was made the AC was off, so the drips that you're seeing are left over residuals.

On a side note, I have come to the conclusion that if I go ahead and do the valve adjustment and purchase the TCT as well, this should without a doubt solve the problem.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by LittleGreenMan,Jun 24 2010, 06:51 PM
I really appreciate each and every one of your feedback.

One of the main things I always find irritating when searching for answers is the lack of media, just like one of you mentioned, where someone will just state a problem very vaguely and others are left scratching there heads to even interpret what the original question even was! So with that said, thus why I did the video. Hopefully others who may be experiencing the same noises that I am, as it seems a lot of you are, will be able to find an answer to your problem both quickly and efficiently.

As far as the drip from under the car, when the video was filmed I had just driven the car back home with running the AC, though when the video was made the AC was off, so the drips that you're seeing are left over residuals.

On a side note, I have come to the conclusion that if I go ahead and do the valve adjustment and purchase the TCT as well, this should without a doubt solve the problem.
Do them one at a time though so you know what exactly was the sound you were looking for. =]
Old 06-24-2010, 07:35 PM

Most definitely and I'll be sure to report back here and inform all of you so that we can have a final determination.

Quick Reply: TCT, or Valve Adjustment Noise?