S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

(TCT) Timing Chain Tensioner

Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so 140-170 Plus labor costs?
Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

yup....anymore labor than 2hrs I'd go elsewhere.

It takes me 10 minutes start to finish.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Yeah, don't let the dealership take you for a ride on this...

I understand your lack of time to do this repair also...
I'm in the same boat as you, but I decided after my local dealership was totally clueless on the matter to just make the time to carefully read and research on this exceptional site about the problem and found a link with step-by-step pics in detail and ended up doing this myself in about an hour total from start to finish...

If the dealership is competent enough about this issue, however, then you shouldn't have a problem getting it repaired properly and charged reasonably... On the other hand, if they're not, then they throw you every line and suggestion about replacing this and that for $xxx.xx...
Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbridrol' date='Mar 25 2007, 03:25 PM
I am taking it in tommorow, what would I call this problem to the mechanic and about how much will it cost?
Even though your car is a MY00, I recommend calling Honda Customer Service and seeing if they will cover it under goodwill. I'd recommend speaking to the lady mentioned in my post below, and let her know that you know that this recurring and common issue has already been reported to her (by me):
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dpost&p=9169796

If you're going to pay a Honda dealer to replace it for you, you might as well try to get Honda to pay for it.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Yeah we really should try to get each of these on record by the same rep, even if they don't step up. Yet....

Good idea man...
Old 11-02-2007, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Greenlight,

how did you figure out that 0.05" of milled head translates into ~1/2" of slack. It seems to me it should be exactly twice the milled amount.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Billman250 Posted: Jan 18 2007, 04:01 AM
I have a feeling the noise itself is resonating from this piece, due to it's distinct loud plastic clicking noise. Perhaps a series of untaught chain links hitting the top of it, which would colaborate with the speed of the click.
Its a while ago, but what was the outcome of this line of thought?

After a discussion about changing the OEM tensioner into a manual one (with a bolt) and reading this post I thought it was time to pick up where this post was left.

Any new ideas?

Is the Billman solution - sandblasting the worm - still a good one, even after 2 years?

There is only 1 way for the licht blue piston to retract: the dark blue worm turns CW in relation to the piston.

Sandblasting wil make the surface rough and makes it harder to turn?

The oil entering the TCT is IMO creating a sort off pressurized oil film between the piston and the worm making it easy to turn CW or CCW making it easy to retract or expand (?) the piston while the engine is running = with oil pressure.
As soon as the pressure is gone the worm "locks" the piston in the position its in.
A bit like a ratchet but then a ratchet with indefinite positions.

But how do we get the TCT noise?
#1 - The oil pressure (hot or cold) by itself isn't enough to push the piston & worm both out?
#2 - The worm is stuck in the piston and the piston doesn't stay out when the oil pressure is gone?
#3 - Both??

Very strange

Spring pressure alone is probably not enough to put enough tension the chain.

Anyone?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:13 AM

my reason for posting is that as an engineer having done lots of problems on springs in school I can tell you guys that greenlight's model for the system is incorrect and adding a .25 inch is a gross overkill.

just intuitively if you experience clicking at low rpms then the problem is the spring if it is at high rpms then it is the oil pressure.

a quick fix for the spring problem could be adding washers to the base of the spring. this induces pre-load and could fix the problem. it's also much cheaper than buying another TCT and welding stuff.

my 0.02, i examined this system when I was planning on milling my head, but decided to go FI.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Minimal oil pressure at an operating temp idle is 2,5 bar (kg/cm^2)
The inner diameter of the piston is (guesstimated)

Quick Reply: (TCT) Timing Chain Tensioner