S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TCT repair thought

Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TCT repair thought

So my TCT recently went out and I replaced it with an OEM one after trying to sand blast the old worm gear (lasted about 10 miles) the OEM one that i bought lasted about 5k miles before the buzzing started again.

I know you all are going to say get a Billman250 TCT, i tried but didnt receive a quote yet. Would still like one though if you read this Billman! =D

So i started thinking about the operation of the TCT, to my understanding, in short oil flows over the opposing edge of the worm gear and the piston causing it to hold tension on the timing chain.

The reason the TCTs go out is because of to smooth of a surface not creating enough friction to maintain tension. correct me if im wrong please.

My idea (might have already been though of) is to take a small dremmel with a rounded cutting bit and grind small divits on the surface of the worm gear creating pockets for the oil to travel through helping to create tension. sort of like the surface of a golf ball.

let me know what you think or if you have any ideas, ive got a spare TCT to play with =)

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

i had my Billman gen 4 TCT done at the dragon. contact him on the s2ki site. Its good peace of mind.

good luck

darcy
Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

You will make it worse. Oil flows through the middle of the worm, and any modification made to the worm will reduce the pressure. Taking a dremel to the worm gear is the fastest way to destroy it, and dremeled and hand sanded worms have slowed production.

Ill say it again, do not hand sand the worm or dremel it.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fit a new chain and guides and inspect the sprockets and replace them too if there is any wear (mostly the crank one).

Changing the tensioner on a worn ( therefore longer) chain only helps mask the problem. When a chain stretches the distance between the links increases by the tiniest amount and it starts to catch as it exits the crank pulley exaggerating slapping on the slack side of the chain.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
You will make it worse. Oil flows through the middle of the worm, and any modification made to the worm will reduce the pressure. Taking a dremel to the worm gear is the fastest way to destroy it, and dremeled and hand sanded worms have slowed production.

Ill say it again, do not hand sand the worm or dremel it.
thanks for clearing that up for me, wasnt quite sure how the oil flowed into the TCT.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_barry
Changing the tensioner on a worn ( therefore longer) chain only helps mask the problem. When a chain stretches the distance between the links increases by the tiniest amount and it starts to catch as it exits the crank pulley exaggerating slapping on the slack side of the chain.
So you're saying it is the chain itself making "the noise" regardless of the tension?

As far as I know it is the oil pressure & flow (and nothing else) that's producing the force to keep tension on the chain (running engine..)
The worm is like a limited slip ty-rap: in general it only allows the piston to move out so it keeps the piston from moving in when the oil pressure drops, during shifts for example.
But during warm-up and a changing load on the chain it can move in because of the oil film between worm and piston.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Billman sent you a PM about buying a TCT
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by arsenal
Billman sent you a PM about buying a TCT
ive seen that
Old 04-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Andersonracing
So my TCT recently went out and I replaced it with an OEM one after trying to sand blast the old worm gear (lasted about 10 miles) the OEM one that i bought lasted about 5k miles before the buzzing started again.

I know you all are going to say get a Billman250 TCT, i tried but didnt receive a quote yet. Would still like one though if you read this Billman! =D

So i started thinking about the operation of the TCT, to my understanding, in short oil flows over the opposing edge of the worm gear and the piston causing it to hold tension on the timing chain.

The reason the TCTs go out is because of to smooth of a surface not creating enough friction to maintain tension. correct me if im wrong please.

My idea (might have already been though of) is to take a small dremmel with a rounded cutting bit and grind small divits on the surface of the worm gear creating pockets for the oil to travel through helping to create tension. sort of like the surface of a golf ball.

let me know what you think or if you have any ideas, ive got a spare TCT to play with =)

Thanks,
Andrew
This makes no sense. First you're comparing internal flow to external flow, and second, golf ball dimples reduce drag.
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...question37.htm
Old 04-19-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by dwight
Originally Posted by Andersonracing' timestamp='1366295070' post='22482424

Thanks,
Andrew
This makes no sense. First you're comparing internal flow to external flow, and second, golf ball dimples reduce drag.
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.c...question37.htm
I worded how the dimples should be ground wrong, and if you read the above posts Billman explained how the oil flows into the TCT. And i realized my theory was debunked.

Quick Reply: TCT repair thought