S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Taking out the resonator?

Old 05-13-2004, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know how to do that part. I was wanting someone that knows the exact area to post it. I'm not sure where it is myself and there have been many other not sure as well. A visual picture of the right actual area would help...
Old 05-13-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Jason B
Yes, I know how to do that part. I was wanting someone that knows the exact area to post it. I'm not sure where it is myself and there have been many other not sure as well. A visual picture of the right actual area would help...
Jason, I'm not quite following you here. "Exact area to post it"???? I have an OEM exhaust sitting in my basement. I could take a pic and post that if I knew what you wanted.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:41 AM

OK, I think this is what Jason wanted to show.
Here's an overview of the OEM exhaust:

Here is a close up of the resonator(s):

The larger, squarish cannister is the item in question. The little protrusion is the "Helmholtz" thing. Some people call it a "resonator". I just call it the "weinie". This little pipe is there for sound tuning and really doesn't hurt or help performance. If you take it off, you may change the sound to something you won't like.
It's the main resonator that is the most restrictive, aside from the rear two cannisters.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:24 AM

After looking at the diagram, has anyone ever considered bypassing the U-bend in front of the mufflers and tie straight into the final flow section of the muffler? That could be another cheap way to remain stock and get louder if thats the desire. If done right and the sound is awful, it may be reversible.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:12 PM

Jason B, are you still thinking of removing the resonator? Do it, do it!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hygiene boy
Jason B, are you still thinking of removing the resonator?
Old 05-17-2004, 04:27 AM

No, not correct. Leave that weinie there. After that weinie is a small muffler(resonator). Cut that off and replace with a pipe of equal or larger diameter. Get a can of high temp paint and paint the new pipe and any welds to stop future rust before it starts.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:33 AM

Got it! Man, I don't know what I was looking at this whole time.

Cut out the the square muffler. I have some black BBQ paint I could spray on there.

I love that deep hum at about 1,200 RPM with my stock exhaust. Having more of that would be nice.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by hygiene boy
No, not correct. Leave that weinie there. After that weinie is a small muffler(resonator). Cut that off and replace with a pipe of equal or larger diameter. Get a can of high temp paint and paint the new pipe and any welds to stop future rust before it starts.
You really shouldn't use a larger diameter pipe to replace the resonator. The pipe should be the same inner diameter as the pipe on each side. Any change in diameter (bigger or smaller) will cause turbulance, and reduce flow.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:41 AM

You really shouldn't use a larger diameter pipe to replace the resonator
If it's slightly bigger/flared ends to slip onto stock pipe, that's what I meant, I didn't mean some monster 4" pipe. There was a guy a month ago who did it with smaller diameter and he wasn't happy. The resonator creates turbulence itself anyways.

Quick Reply: Taking out the resonator?