S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Taking apart the outer-lip from wheel centers

Old 10-08-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking apart the outer-lip from wheel centers

These wheels I have are a two-piece wheel. I need to take them apart meaning pull out the centers from the outer-lip, but don't know how to go about doing this other than the fact that I have the following things in my back pocket:

1) I have the 12-point socket for the rivet bolts (front side rivets and back side rivets are of diff sizes)
2) Because it's a two-piece wheel, you don't have to worry about breaking seals or anything like a three-piece wheel ala Fikse FM-10s
3) I know that a local authorized BBS dealer can do the job, but I don't feel like paying them $100 to remove the centers from the outer-lip

I will however pay the BBS dealer to put the suckers back together since BBS and the dealer refuse to give me torque specs for the rivet bolts.

My question for everyone is, has anyone done this? Any things I need to look out for, be careful about? It's amazing how so little information is out there about this stuff and how no one seems to know anything about it. Hoping some of you guys have some knowledge to share.

Many thx,
Old 10-08-2003, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you curb these wheels already?

What is your final objective? There may be another way to solve the problem.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:27 AM

I would like to know more about this too. I have some 3 pc Racing hart C2s, I want to take center part out so I can get it powdercoated. but I dont know if there is anything like torque specs for the bolts or anything that I should know about before taking them apart. I might just have to paint them
Old 10-09-2003, 09:06 AM

I think I got it handled.

Speedware is a local BBS authorized dealer and they have torque specs and the "expertise" to diassemble/reassemble the rims. So they're coming off!

It's not as tricky as I thought. Turns out the AC Schnitzer, Hartge, OZ etc all use the same size 12-point socket bolts to piece together the centers to the outers or so they say. the BBSs i got are 5/16" on the outside and 10mm on the inside. funky eh?

James, you might try and contact Racing Hart directly and ask them what the torque specs are. Hopefully they're not as surreptitious about it as BBS.

It's amazing how few people have info on this type of thing!
Old 10-09-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

WRS2K,

You care to share what torque specs you found out for your wheels?
Old 10-09-2003, 10:22 AM

bbs won't tell me and neither will their authorized dealers
Old 10-09-2003, 11:20 AM

how about you untorque the bolts and get a reading from that? probably isnt good enough for exact numbers but it'll provide a ballpark figure... not good enough for ben probably, but might be good enough for other members...
Old 10-09-2003, 11:38 AM

Mike,

That was what I was going to do until I found out that Speedware has the so-called "authorization and experience" to work on BBS wheels.

I think this is another one of those deals where I am going to find out the $ way to do something any monkey like myself could've done at home. Especially since we're not talking true three-piece wheels where you sometimes have to deal with silicon seals and stuff (e.g. Fikse).

But it's more for peace-of-mind than anything else. I just want to get it done and over with.

Good idea, though! Thanks for that.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fastest way is to give it to this guy... No torquing required

Old 10-09-2003, 08:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick Reply: Taking apart the outer-lip from wheel centers