S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

T1R 63mm V2 vs. T1R Power 70mm exhaust...

Old 12-19-2006, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T1R 63mm V2 vs. T1R Power 70mm exhaust...

I am stuck between choosing one of these two systems and would like some direction:

1) T1R 63mm V2 - The 63mm V2 seems better designed and eliminates one more bend with the slanted muffler design. Dickson said its much better than the spoon 60mm setup...

2) T1R Power 70mm exhaust - I am nervous I will lose bottom and mid-range hp and tq with this system and gain up top. The design seems to have more bends. Possibly a louder exhaust as well...

Also, Please keep discussions relevant to these. I cannot afford the titanium and it isnt worth the money for the hp gains from the system for me - I don't think mega-uber-JDM exhausts are what I want. I would much rather spend it on a nice header, I will take the 25 pounds in weight reduction and be happy with that...

I am down to picking one of the two, not sure which one...Atleast, I am not asking one of those generic "whats the best exhaust" n00b questions...

Overall exhaust plans: Berk testpipe to be ordered soon and then a header. I am reading up on the header thread to figure out which one to get - Berk is good for the price, but J's SPL seems best so far!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably a good question to post in the JDM Tuning forum. I think they already have a thread going about exhausts.

70mm has been shown to have more gains than the 63mm. I have the 63mm...rode in a 70mm equiped car on Saturday...not that much louder.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:35 AM

negcamber - I am sure it does, but when you gain some, you tend to lose some, but I wonder if it loses it in the low to mid end which is what street driving is all about!

I don't want to double-post, maybe a mod will move this thread!

Also, I have seen the header thread, I would love to see this exhaust thread, can you link us, please?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a matter of personal preference. I think in your case it is based on which one looks better to you. Both exhausts are going to be as loud as the other. The 70mm will weigh a few lbs more due to the bigger diameter piping.
However, the 70mm system is going to give you much better top end gains, but it will also give you better mid range gains. You will see a slight increase in mid range with the 70mm compared to the 63mm, but the difference in top end will be pretty big.

version is a member on the boards and he increased his top end by about 7whp by switching from his spoon system to a 70mm system. He also gained mid range too. There are a couple dynoes floating around that compare the benefits of a 70mm system.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:08 AM

icic..only 7whp? but the t1r website says 10-12 whp.....is the 7 whp with cat or with testpipe? and on the website the numbbers are with test pipe or cat?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Former Moderator

with HvRRZ

The exhaust thread is:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=446389

Either of the T1R exhaust will equal or increase power across the entire rpm range. The 70mm will give more.

These exhusts are a better stand alone mod than getting a header to mate to the stock exhaust. The oem header is very very good (if it were stainless, people would not get rid of it...it's really quite a beautiful peice of work and very well tuned). Only reason to go to a header is if you can flow more out the tail as well.

Also consider a test pipe if you can.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by nicku,Dec 19 2006, 12:08 PM
icic..only 7whp? but the t1r website says 10-12 whp.....is the 7 whp with cat or with testpipe? and on the website the numbbers are with test pipe or cat?
NEVER EVER take the manufacturers numbers as gosspel unless they are independently verified.

But...in this case VersionJDM upgraded from a Spoon exhaust, which is pretty good, to the 70mm, which is better.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:12 AM

Wow, I will have to find this dyno. Sound like power 70mm is what I should do....I trust you people as you have been around a long time (comapred to me, atleast) !

I am just afraid of buying the 70mm and then T1R coming out with a slanted version coz I will sob like a big baby if that happens....

PS - People: HvRRZ is da man. I will be forever greatful for him selling me a brand new ZTEC exhaust cap! Give mad crazy shaking 2 thumbs up
Old 12-19-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by nicku,Dec 19 2006, 10:08 AM
what they say could be very true. remember i said he first had a spoon exhaust with test pipe which gave him good gains. He then switched over to the 70mm set-up and then gained an additional 7whp.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by kchandra,Dec 19 2006, 10:12 AM
Wow, I will have to find this dyno. Sound like power 70mm is what I should do....I trust you people as you have been around a long time (comapred to me, atleast) !

I am just afraid of buying the 70mm and then T1R coming out with a slanted version coz I will sob like a big baby if that happens....

PS - People: HvRRZ is da man. I will be forever greatful for him selling me a brand new ZTEC exhaust cap! Give mad crazy shaking 2 thumbs up
Thankx man! I'm guessing it'll be mounted once you get your single exhaust. I can't wait to see some pics.

If sound levels aren't something you are worried about then go with the 70mm for best gains. If possible go headerback, but if they don't make the non titanium version in headerback then grab a 70mm test pipe if you can also.

I feel your worries about the chance of a angled system coming out. I love me a little bit of an angle aswell.

Quick Reply: T1R 63mm V2 vs. T1R Power 70mm exhaust...