S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Synthetic Oil

Old 11-13-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely run synthetic oil, and I have been on all of my performance cars. Castrol and Mobil 1 aren't really considered true synthetics, but amsoil and royal purple are considered to be true synthetics.

I use to run castrol and mobil 1, but i switched to amsoil and royal purple. With a high quality synthetic like amsoil or rp, you will notice the engine will rev up more freely and easier. You will feel a gain in performance. I would never go back to mobil 1 or castrol after using rp or amsoil, but thats just my opinion.

BTW its not good to go back and forth with different motor oils.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:14 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CwestinAP1,Nov 13 2005, 03:55 PM
I would definitely run synthetic oil, and I have been on all of my performance cars. Castrol and Mobil 1 aren't really considered true synthetics, but amsoil and royal purple are considered to be true synthetics.

I use to run castrol and mobil 1, but i switched to amsoil and royal purple. With a high quality synthetic like amsoil or rp, you will notice the engine will rev up more freely and easier. You will feel a gain in performance. I would never go back to mobil 1 or castrol after using rp or amsoil, but thats just my opinion.

BTW its not good to go back and forth with different motor oils.
If you posted statements like this on an oil forum, you would get banned. You really need to get your facts straight before posting stuff like this.

Mobil 1 is a PAO-based (Group IV) synthetic oil. So is Royal Purple and most Amsoil synthetic oils. Castrol Syntec is a Group III oil. Several years ago, Castrol was sued for branding this oil as synthetic, and they eventually won the case. As a result, all Group III oils can be called synthetic even though they are hydrockracked conventional oils. So you (and others) can claim that Syntec and most of the brand-name synthetic oils are not "true synthetics", you cannot make that statement about Mobil 1.

The Group V (Ester-based) synthetic oils are considered better synthetics because of their properties. Common brands include Redline and Motul. If you do some research, you will find that Royal Purple is not an oil manufacturer, but a "Blender" that buys base stock and additive packs from other manufacturers. They are primarily a marketing company and although their product is decent, I don't believe it's worth the price.

CwestinAP1: Do me a favor. Please go to the forums at Bobistheoilguy.com and post that you "will notice the engine will rev up more freely and easier" with "a high quality synthetic like amsoil or rp". They could use a good laugh.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

slalom44 has it right on the money. and on the royal purple, it's crap. at least in the sense that you can get much better for your money.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:01 PM
WPS

i switched to mobil 1 . i think its worth it since it costs double but extends the interval to double basically costing nothing more. i did notice consumes a little more oil. so something to watch out
makes cold starts easier and i think it free up a little hp.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:42 PM

I also seem to get a little better gas mileage as compared to regular oil in my s2000 and my wife's crv.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Nov 14 2005, 03:20 PM
slalom44 has it right on the money. and on the royal purple, it's crap. at least in the sense that you can get much better for your money.
royal purple costs the same as mobil 1 synthetic, so its not a waste of money. have you tried it before? I suggest you read up on the royal purple website before passing judgement.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44,Nov 14 2005, 01:14 PM
CwestinAP1: Do me a favor. Please go to the forums at Bobistheoilguy.com and post that you "will notice the engine will rev up more freely and easier" with "a high quality synthetic like amsoil or rp". They could use a good laugh.
I use to use mobil 1 and castrol full synthetics but when I switched to Amsoil i felt a big difference. The engine noticeably reved up faster and easier. I am not just saying this because you can actually feel the difference between engine oils.

I don't know why that makes for a good laugh?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:40 PM

I am using Amsoil in all my vehicles. Just changed the oil in my truck this past weekend after 27000 miles. I change the S around every 10k or so.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44,Nov 14 2005, 01:14 PM
Oh yeah

"The most frequent comment from customers is how they can feel the difference in their vehicles after switching to Royal Purple."

From this website:

http://royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html

Switch to royal purple and you WILL notice and feel the difference.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:42 PM

I changed to amsoil 0w-30 in my 97' tacoma, and there is a small difference in performance. I have put 82k on this truck, and I know it inside and out. also saw a small increase in mileage. this is my experience, I dont sale amsoil, or have any interest in there company, and have nothing to gain by recommending there product. I did not feel any change with amsoil in my s2k. however it is the best synoil I can find, and it is worth the extra cost. after all its only about $50 more a year to use. IMHO

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil