S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

Old 05-06-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what gm's take it
Old 05-06-2005, 07:50 PM

small pickups... that's what I read.
There are a bunch of threads on our s2ki site that have more info and even part numbers for the oil.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ac09lude,May 6 2005, 08:43 PM
what gm's take it
Any with NV1500 transmissions.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:52 PM

Try it. If you don't like it, try something else. Some of the Vegas guys run Red Line MT-90. MT-90 is a little thicker and may be better suited for us desert rats. I'm thinking of doing the MT-90 in the Summer when the temp roasts around 115 for 4 months and moving back to GMSMFM for the cooler months. But for now, I am very pleased with the GMSMFM in my MY04 stook.
Also, if you didn't catch it with my first post... consider removing the clutch slave limiter oriface if you track your ride.

CB
Old 05-07-2005, 02:57 PM

my experience... I ran the GMFMSM for about 5000 miles ... I think it took longer to warm up than the OEM fill and once it did it was smooth but not noticeably. The one - two sting continued when cold. I decided to try Redline's MT90 as I had very good cold & warm weather experience with it in my previous whip - I've run 3000 miles with the Redline and I like it better than the GM or the OEM.

YMMV
Old 05-07-2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nate03,May 7 2005, 02:57 PM
my experience... I ran the GMFMSM for about 5000 miles ... I think it took longer to warm up than the OEM fill and once it did it was smooth but not noticeably. The one - two sting continued when cold. I decided to try Redline's MT90 as I had very good cold & warm weather experience with it in my previous whip - I've run 3000 miles with the Redline and I like it better than the GM or the OEM.

YMMV
You might want to try Redline MTL for colder weather.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:04 PM

oakfloor,
Oh, I strongly disagree about the cooler weather application of Redline MT-90.
But then again... what we've found through discussion after discussion is that each transmission has its preferred fluid - and it is through experimentation that we find what makes our gears happy.
RoadRage has a very detailed breakdown of the different fluids available for our stook's engine, transmission and differential.
The differential is extremely particular about the fluid you feed it. DO NOT LET THE DEALER CHANGE DIFF FLUID! See threads on our site regarding blown diffs due to wrong gear oil dumped in the differential and take note.
For me, GMSMFM, is working spectacular. At the same time, I've talked with other earlier model drivers that say that GMSMFM didn't fare well in their tranny and they are moving back to Honda's MTF.
Redline MT-90 is thicker than GMSMFM and Honda's MTF.
I can find no wrong with GMSMFM soaking my '04 tranny. Experiment and find out what works for you.
Have fun!

Here's my fluid setup:
Engine = Mobile 1 10-30W
Transmission = GM Synchromesh Friction Modified
Differential = Mobile 1 75-90W
Brake = Motul RBF-600 (Cobalt brakes get HOT!!!!!)
Clutch = Motul RBF-600 (just because I had leftover)
Driver = Gatoraid Lime

Setup HPDE Track Tested.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:51 PM

According to redline's info MTL is a 70-80w, and MT-90 is 75-90w. this is why I thought MTL for colder weather. I have MT-90 in my S2k. and its a little notchy when cold, but once its warmed up it shifts better than ever. BTW redline recommend to me MTL for the S. next service I may try the GM oil.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:27 PM

It is alright, grasshopper...
It is part of moto zen... Find out what works for your stook.
I urge you to look up RoadRage's oil reports for more info. In the end, it is up to you to decide what works best in your ride. Choose wisely.
I have a track event tomorrow... It's like Christmas!!!
Am very satisfied with the moto fluids I've exchanged in my girl and can't wait to wring out the new suspension.
If you have a MY04, then I suggest that you start off with GMSMFM in the tranny and drive it to feel if it worked. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, try another.
MotoZen is a journey. Try, test, and evaluate.

MotoPeace,
CB
Old 05-09-2005, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thicker oil in the tranny does not translate to better protection - hell, a 505 HP 2006 Z-06 uses ATF!!!

I used all the fluids and ended up with GMS FM. Since it is semi-syn, and has a lower cSt than Honda's MTF, I can think of no reason why it would take longer to "warm-up", and it in fact should provide better cold weather shifting. It also has longer service life. But as stated, I have done the work, and published the results, and cannot cover the same ground over and over.

I will say that I did a 6MT GMSFM fluid change in a 2005 Acura TL the other day, and the guy is delighted - he posts as "Jack Sprat 01' over at acura-tl.com

Quick Reply: Synchromesh Transmission Fluid