S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

synchro 3 4 sleeve set

Old 07-12-2015, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synchro 3 4 sleeve set

I have recently bought a 2006 s200.
Changing from 2nd to 3rd there is what feels like a sharp notch as I go from 2nd through the nutral position it catches before going into 3rd.i went to honda and they said 3rd 4th synchro set was needed.
This is very expensive! Does it sound right? There is also a similar notch going from 4th into 5th but not all the time.

It's in the garage tomorrow for a transmission.clutch and slipped diff oil change.

Any advice is welcome.

Dave
Old 07-12-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try shift at around 4000rpms. I had same problem. With 2008 purchased new. I found it would only happen at a lower RPM shift. At about 4k or higher it was butter smooth. I think syncros are slowing down gears too much when shifting at lower rpms. Newer s2000's syncros have special coating. Which should last longer and is more grippy. I change trans fluid numerous times. Didn't really help. Now i have 43k mi and still happens sometimes. But always below 4k. I think its normal and fine. As long as it doesnt grind into gear. I also had to get used to s2000 shift feel. wouldn't change syncros unless shift is really bad. I also thought about changing mine. Could have under warranty but didnt think it was worth it to try change. Also other gears do it also sometimes. Yet its smooth above 3500rpms.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,084 Posts

You dont need new syncros.

First try just changing clutch fluid, and bleed at the same time. Use the gravity bleed method. Look up the procedure. Very easy.

If that doesnt do it, you can try deburring the syncros. This involves revving in 2nd, then let off throttle. On throttle, off, back and forth. This action puts pressure on the syncro, deburring it. Then do the same in 3rd, then 4th, all the gears causing issues. You have to do it at a very high rpm.

The shop changing the fluids, hopefully that is not the dealer. Try to find someone that knows these cars. Some of the techniques needed for the S are different than other cars. The oil filter for instance. You want to use the Honda oem oil filter only, and you have to tighten it 7/8s of a turn after it first makes contact. Shops that havent worked on these cars wont know these things. More than a few of these cars have been destroyed by mechanics, even dealer mechanics, especially dealer mechanics, not wrenching them properly.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:28 AM

Thx not sure what u mean by deburring?

The shop isn't familiar with s2000 and they are doing the transmission.clutch and slipped dif oil changes.anything I need to tell them?

Thx again

Dave
Old 07-12-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by reddave
Thx not sure what u mean by deburring?

The shop isn't familiar with s2000 and they are doing the transmission.clutch and slipped dif oil changes.anything I need to tell them?

Thx again

Dave
What is your native language? May help explain things to you better.

Burrs are sharp edges. Deburring is smoothing them out. If the syncros have developed burrs due to poor shifting technique, this process can smooth them out. This can improve shifting smoothness. This trick is done while driving out on the road. Its not something a shop does. You just drive in second, rev up near redline, then quickly let off throttle, then on again. On, off, quickly, which hammers out the sharp edges on the syncros.

Make sure they use the correct fluids. If they get the fluids from the dealer, then definitly double check its the correct fluids. Dont trust the dealer.

The clutch fluid, they should 'turkey baster' out the old fluid from the master cylinder, then wipe clean the inside of the master cylinder, then fill it with fresh fluid, then under the car, open the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder, and let it drip out, refilling the master as it gets low. Let it drip until the fluid comes out clean. If they put a clear hose on the bleeder, it easy to see when its clean. This process changes the fluid, and bleeds out any air in the system at the same time. Once its clean, tighten bleeder screw, top off fluid. Done.

Going forward, at least every other pil change, just change the clutch fluid in the master cylinder. Every few years do the full gravity bleed.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:05 PM

Ok thx.

So I boot it in second til red line then on off throttle a few times .sound stressing..
Oil I have for clutch is granville dot 4 .for slip diff I have ls 80/90 gl5 and for tranmission change granville 75w/90 .

Thx

Dave
Old 07-13-2015, 04:12 AM

Had all oil changes done and bot made a difference.
I have noticed if I change quickly 2nd to 3rd it's fine .only when I do it casual it goes through a sharp notch from neatral to third.

Dave